- "You will be in charge of that, Moff Tarkin. Or should I say Grand Moff Tarkin."
"The Empire's first."
- ―Emperor Palpatine and Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin
Grand Moff was a political title in the hierarchy of Sheev Palpatine's Galactic Empire. Grand Moffs were governors of "oversectors". Oversectors and the rank of Grand Moff were both created at the suggestion of Governor Wilhuff Tarkin in the fifth year of Emperor Palpatine's reign. Tarkin became the first ever Grand Moff. As a symbol of their charge, Grand Moffs bore a rank insignia plaque with twelve colored squares—a row of six blue squares over a row of three red and three gold ones. After the death of Emperor Palpatine and the destruction of the second Death Star, Moff Valco Pandion seized the title of Grand Moff for himself. By the time of the Battle of Jakku, Randd had become Grand Moff.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Backstories: Star Wars – Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines