A grappling hook was a device used by individuals in order to mount large objects, swing across chasms, or ensnare others.
The Jedi of the Galactic Republic were commonly equipped with grappling spike launchers during missions, which were developed by the quartermasters at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Simpler grappling hooks, called ascension cables, were used by the clone troopers during the Clone Wars, with the scout troopers and stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire using a similar device. Luke Skywalker used a fibercord grappling hook found in his stolen stormtrooper armor to swing himself and Princess Leia Organa across a chasm on the first Death Star.
Ewoks were known to use primitive grappling hooks as weapons and for navigating obstacles, as well as for more unusual uses such as retrieving objects. Princess Kneesaa a Jari Kintaka of Bright Tree Village was highly proficient with the grappling hook and used it as her primary weapon.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- Bantha Tracks #5
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles Companion
- Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations
- "Boba Fett: Mystery Man in Not-So-Shining Armor"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 1
- Star Wars: The Power of the Force (1995)
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- The Official Star Wars Fact File
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide