- "You will, therefore, be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all powerful Sarlacc."
- ―C-3PO, translating Jabba the Hutt
The Great Pit of Carkoon was a large depression in the desert on Tatooine. Inside the pit was a creature known as a sarlacc, which could swallow an individual whole and slowly digest them over one thousand years. Due to its proximity to Jabba the Hutt's palace, the crime lord used the pit and its sarlacc for torturous executions. The pit was the location of the rescue of Han Solo, which took place shortly before the Battle of Endor.
Behind the scenesEdit
The sound of the sarlacc was created from sounds of alligator hisses, as well as the sounds of some of the Jedi crew's stomachs after eating pizza.
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ; image #14 (of 16)
- (First identified as Great Pit of Carkoon)