- "Make me a Great River...a stream to carry the endangered, the wounded, the weary to safety."
- ―Luke Skywalker
The Great River was an underground fugitive network created by Luke Skywalker during the war with the Yuuzhan Vong. It was created to protect the Jedi not only from the Yuuzhan Vong, but from those who would attempt to betray the Jedi to appease the Vong, such as the Peace Brigade.
In its early existence, the Great River network was a series of hidden routes and strongholds where Jedi and their allies could meet and take refuge from the persecuting Yuuzhan Vong fleets. Important locales for the River included Shelter, a space station owned by Lando Calrissian in the heart of the Maw, and Eclipse Station, an uncharted planet in the Deep Core that temporarily housed the leading members of the New Jedi Order.
Involved in the Great River were a number of rescue fliers, such as Uldir Lochett and his crew. Working nominally under the New Republic Search and Rescue Corps, in reality they took their order from Master Skywalker himself.
- Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (First appearance)
- Emissary of the Void
- Star by Star
- Dark Journey
- Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- Destiny's Way
- Force Heretic II: Refugee
- "Who's Who in the New Jedi Order"—Star Wars Insider 57
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas