The Guardians of the Whills were a religious order active in the city of Jedha towards the end of the Age of the Galactic Empire. They traditionally handcrafted the lightbow, a complicated form of bowcaster native to Jedha, such as the one used by Chirrut Îmwe during the Battle of Scarif. The protectors of the ancient Temple of the Kyber, the Guardians were forced to live on the streets when the Empire occupied Jedha in search of kyber crystals and stripped the Temple bare of its many treasures, where they nonetheless remained true to their beliefs by preaching to the citizens about the Force.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else (an immortal being known as a Whill); there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the Journal of the Whills."
- ―George Lucas
In the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, a deleted scene featured the spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn telling Yoda that he learned the secret to becoming a Force ghost after death from a "Shaman of the Whills. In another cut line, Yoda claimed the secret to immortality was held by the "Ancient Order of the Whills." Qui-Gon's claim was repeated by the then-canon Databank and the Encyclopedia on StarWars.com.
- Guardians of the Whills
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel
- Rogue One, Part I
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 NEW Star Wars Launch Bay Rogue One Additions & Changes Update
- ↑ "The Making of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith screenplay
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destiny"