- "Gungans no dyin' witout a fight. Wesa warriors."
- ―Jar Jar Binks
Gungans were an amphibious sentient species and the native inhabitants of the planet Naboo. The various different Gungan races could live on both water and land, but often made their home in underwater cities such as Otoh Gunga. Physically, Gungans were tall humanoids with a flexible structure, strong leg muscles, strong bills, muscular tongues, and many other traits designed for living in the waters of Naboo.
The Gungans had a tense and uneasy relationship with the predominantly Human Naboo people until the Trade Federation invasion. As a result of the invasion, the Gungans joined forces with the Naboo to expel the Trade Federation from their homeworld. Following the invasion, Jar Jar Binks would become the Senior Representative of the Gungan people in the Galactic Senate, serving alongside Senator Padmé Amidala of the Naboo.
Biology and appearanceEdit
The Gungans were a sentient amphibious species. Equipped with hardy lungs, they were capable of holding their breath for extended periods of time. Their skeletal structure was extremely flexible, as it was made of cartilaginous material rather than hard bone. The long Gungan face had a tough yet flexible bill for burrowing and rooting out food. They had long muscular tongues with which they could scoop mollusks and lesser amphibians from the Naboo swamps. They were tall humanoids with a flexible structure and strong leg muscles which allowed them to live in the waters of Naboo.
The Gungans were separated into two subspecies: the lanky Otolla race, who sported prominent bills and eyes set on short stalks, and the heavier Ankura race, whose eyes were hooded. The Gungan earlobes, called haillu, were most prominent in the Otolla subspecies.
The Gungan species originated on the Mid Rim world of Naboo, which they shared with a Human civilization known as the Naboo. Relations between the two species were tense until the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo. One Gungan exile named Jar Jar Binks befriended the Naboo Queen Padmé Amidala and convinced her to seek the help of the Gungans. Amidala succeeded in winning over the Gungan ruler Boss Nass and the two peoples formed an alliance to drive out the Trade Federation. During the Battle of Naboo, the Gungan Grand Army confronted the Federation's Droid Army outside Theed, which enabled Amidala's forces to seize back the capital and capture the Trade Federation's Viceroy Nute Gunray.
During the Separatist Crisis, Jar Jar Binks served as the Senior Representative of the Gungan people in the Galactic Senate. He played an important role in supporting legislation which led to the creation of a Grand Army of the Republic. The Gungans remained loyal to the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. Gungan forces took part in the Battle of Mon Cala and assisted Prince Lee-Char's Mon Calamari forces and Republic allies against Separatist forces and their Quarren allies.
As the Clone Wars escalated, growing tensions between the Gungans and the Naboo were fueled by rumors that the Gungans were planning to aid a Separatist invasion of Naboo. Under the influence of his pro-Separatist adviser Rish Loo, the reigning Boss Lyonie ordered the Gungan Grand Army to march on Theed in a coordinated strike with a Separatist droid army led by General Grievous. However, Binks, with the help of Senator Amidala and Anakin Skywalker, succeeded in exposing Rish Loo's conspiracy. Binks then impersonated Lyonie and ordered the Grand Army to abort their assault on Theed. Gungan forces led by Roos Tarpals also played a role in capturing Grievous but were forced to release him after Count Dooku threatened to kill Skywalker.
Society and cultureEdit
Though sometimes dismissed as primitive, the Gungans had advanced technology, including bubble projectors, bongo submarines and weaponry. The Gungans preferred using technology that was related in some way to the ecology of their world. For example, they used energy plasma that was mined from their planet's crust to power their cities and also their weapons. The Gungans also domesticated animals for use in transport and combat, such as the kaadu, the falumpaset and the fambaa. Unlike their human neighbors, the Gungans were a proud warrior race, and maintained a large Gungan Grand Army which acted as the standing Gungan defense force. It participated in the Battle of Naboo during the Trade Federation's occupation of the planet. During the Clone Wars, the Grand Army saw action against Separatist forces on both Mon Cala and later Naboo itself.
Gungans in the GalaxyEdit
One notable Gungans included Jar Jar Binks, a former outcast who brought his people and the Naboo together and later became a Senior Representative in the Galactic Senate. Other noteworthy Gungans included the warrior Roos Tarpals, Otoh Gunga's ruler Boss Nass and his successor Lyonie, the shaak herder Peppi Bow, and the minister Rish Loo.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gungan General"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Pursuit of Peace"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Padawan Lost" (Head only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt" (Head only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Prisoners"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Deception"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part I"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part II"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Princess Leia, Part II
- Star Wars 10: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part III
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 11: Shadows and Secrets, Part V
- Star Wars: Lando, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Shattered Empire, Part III (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"