- "That starship has a lot of firepower!"
- ―Wedge Antilles
The term gunship described a variety of vessels. The term was used for small troop deployment and attack carriers or for small capital ships. Typically heavily armed and armored, gunships were designed to break through whatever obstacles prohibited the completion of their mission. They were commonly used for troop carriers, supply relief ships, and escorts. During the clone wars, the Republic Gunship was one of the most used small spacecraft in the Clone Army. Some were designed to carry large ground vehicles and drop them onto a battlefield.
Types of gunshipsEdit
Troop Carriers & Aerial Weapons PlatformsEdit
- Baktoid Fleet Ordnance Heavy Missile Platform (HMP)
- Haor Chall Engineering Mechanized Assault Flyer (MAF)
- Kuat Drive Yards Amphibious Interstellar Assault Transport/infantry (AIAT/i)
- Multi Altitude Assault Transport (MAAT)
- Rothana Heavy Engineering Low Altitude Assault Transport (LAAT)
- Rothana Heavy Engineering Variable Altitude Assault Transport/enforcement (VAAT/e)
- Santhe/Sienar Technologies Turbostorm-class gunship
- Rothana Heavy Engineering Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry
- Imperial Dropship Transport
- Nemesis-class gunship
- Corellian Engineering Corporation DP20 frigate
- Dornean Braha'ket Fleetworks Conglomerate Braha'tok-class gunship
- Ranger-class gunship
- Republic Engineering Corporation Warrior-class gunship
- Sith Empire Sith escort gunship
- Tempest-class gunship
- Yuuzhan Vong Uumufalh
Behind the scenesEdit
In various Polish translations both gunship and blastboat vessels are called kanonierka (gunboat), thus de facto bringing both LAAT-like ships and GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat (heavy starfighter in fact) into the same class. The initial designers were native English speakers intended it for an English speaking audience so Polish translations are generally not relevant.