|H-60 Tempest bomber|
H-60 Tempest bomber
| Technical specifications
The Tempest resembled a larger version of the later B-wing starfighter, but lacked its folding wings. There was also a different engine configuration than that of the B-wing, and other design variations, including a cockpit on each end which were detachable for maintenance and repairs.
The Spiral-class Assault ship shared many design characteristics with the bomber, appearing to be almost the same design apart from being bigger and flying backwards in relation to the H-60's direction of flight.
The H-60 bomber was developed for the Republic Navy in the final decades of the Galactic Republic. Naval planners held a dislike for the resource-heavy and unusual twin-cockpit design and the bombers saw little use. Some were stored in Republic scrap yards to be used for spare parts. As the Galactic Empire came to power, bombers were sold off to independent parties in secret and saw some moderate success for several decades. Only a few squadrons worth had been made when the line was scuttled.
Although the design was too inflexible to compete with more modern fighters, the best parts of the H-60 were used in the design of the B-wing starfighter. Around 0 BBY, the H-60 was used by the Rebel Alliance, with some ships from Ord Bueri kept in reserve at their main base on Yavin IV.
Behind the scenesEdit
As seen in Dorling Kindersley factbooks, the look of the H-60 Tempest was inspired by early concept art depicting a much sleeker B-wing starfighter, made during the production of Return of the Jedi in the early 80s.
- Star Wars: Droids—"Escape Into Terror" (Possible appearance)
- Star Wars: Droids—"The New King" (Possible appearance)
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Stay on Target
- Lords of Nal Hutta
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 Stay on Target
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Black Ice
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Holocron Continuity Database thread at StarWars.com