|Hall of Knighthood|
|Chronological and political information|
The Hall of Knighthood was a ceremonial chamber located directly below the Pinnacle chamber of Tranquility Spire in the Jedi Temple. It was in this chamber that members of the Jedi Order would formally be granted a new rank on the path of being a Jedi.
Erected in Tranquillity Spire during the Temple expansion of 1019 BBY, the Hall of Knighthood was located within the flared section at the summit of the tower. Over the history of the Jedi Order, initiates, Padawans, and Knights would be formally recognized as having acquired a higher rank in the Order. While it was the ceremonial place of ascension, the Knighting ceremony occasionally took place else where due to extragent circumstances.
It was custom for Jedi about to ascend in rank to spend the night in meditation in the private chambers below the hall. Following the night of rest, the Jedi would enter the Hall of Knighthood and a gathering of Jedi Masters, typically made up of the Jedi High Council, would raise the rank of the individual.
During the final years of the Galactic Republic several of the last generation of Jedi were knighted here. In 30 BBY Padawan Aayla Secura was made a Knight, while her master Quinlan Vos became a full Jedi Master. Additionally, Anakin Skywalker would be knighted by the Council at some point early in the Clone Wars. Notably, Jedi High Council member Obi-Wan Kenobi was not knighted here; instead he was raised to the rank of Knight by Grand Master Yoda on Naboo in 32 BBY.
In 19 BBY the elusive Dark Lord of the Sith, in his persona as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, ordered the Grand Army of the Republic to execute Operation: Knightfall. Led by Darth Vader, the 501st Legion marched through the Temple and slaughtered all its occupants. LAAT gunships flew low over the Temple Ziggurat and shattered the base of Tranquillity Spire, causing it to list.
While the Spire was still standing when the New Jedi Order reclaimed the Temple after the expulsion of the Galactic Empire from Coruscant, the ancient tower would collapse at some point before the Yuuzhan Vong War, destroying the Hall. While the Jedi Headquarters would cover the roof of the Ziggurat, the Temple would be completely ruined during the Battle of Coruscant.
When the Galactic Alliance reclaimed the capital, Chief of State Cal Omas donated a new Temple to the Order. Using preserved blueprints, the Reconstruction Authority rebuilt the Temple, going as far as duplicating the patterns in the tiles. As Tranquillity Spire was rebuilt, the Hall was included in its designs and knighting ceremonies resumed.
Located below the Pinnacle chamber and above a private meditation chamber, the Hall of Knighthood was an open room with tall windows and several pillars. The circular pattern in the center of the chamber was reminiscent of the pattern used in the High Council Chamber at the summit of the Tower Spire. Accessed by a turbolift and a staircase that spirals up from the lower levels, the chamber allowed those inside to have one of the highest and rarest views of the area surrounding the Temple.
Using no artificial lighting, the chamber would be filled with sunlight during daytime ceremonies, and the glow of the planet at night. The Masters participating in the ceremony would encircle a kneeling Jedi, ignite their lightsabers, and one would proceed to sever the Padawan braid from the new Knight's head.
- Star Wars: Republic 45: Rite of Passage, Part 4 (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 21"
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Dark Nest I: The Joiner King Details the reconstruction of the Temple
- ↑ Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game
- ↑ Star Wars: Legacy 14: Claws of the Dragon, Part 1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars: Republic 45: Rite of Passage, Part 4
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Fate of the Jedi: Omen Mention of Tranquillity Spire; formal Knighting ceremonies at the Temple.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 21"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- ↑ Star Wars: Union establishment of the Jedi Headquarters.
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand