A handshake was a gesture of greeting, agreement, or reconciliation, used by beings throughout the galaxy. It was especially common among Humans, even in remote and archaic civilizations like the Witches of Dathomir. Many non-Human species were also familiar with this custom, inlcuding the Wookiees, the Mrlssi, the Sullustans the Hiromi, the Jazbinans and the Calibops—although the latter did not have real hands, but only prehensile wingtips.
Politeness usually required a handshake to be made with bare hands, although some individuals would keep their gloves on in fear of infection. Refusal to shake hands was also considered rude and undiplomatic. When Imperial Governor Wilek Nereus greeted the ambassadors from the New Republic in 4 ABY, Han Solo simply stood aside with a flat disapproving expression, while protocol required to bow or shake hands at the very least. Skillful politicians like Tarsus Valorum were known to give good handshakes, with a firm but not overpowering grip, while some individuals would crush other people 's fingers in a rude, unnecessary display of strength.
Mandalorians traditionally shook hands by clasping one another's forearm with their hand above the wrist. This hand-to-elbow grip was said to be a gesture proving one's ability to haul a comrade to safety, if need be. Chiss, who had a close relationship—brothers, for example—greeted each other in similar way. Although normally harmless, this social rite could become dangerous when meeting a Kuati noble. On Kuat, poisoning one's enemies was a centuries-old tradition, and nobles would wear special injector rings that allowed them to administer poison while shaking hands. Grodin Tierce once frightened the con artist Flim by telling him of the Kuati custom after he had just shaken hands with the Kuati Nalgol—the Captain however had used his ring to take a skin sample instead of injecting poison.
- Timeline 1: Treaty of Coruscant
- Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith 1
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic
- Outbound Flight
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- The Clone Wars: No Prisoners
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- Vader's Quest 2
- The Star Wars Holiday Special
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- Of Possible Futures: The Tale of Zuckuss and 4-LOM
- Star Wars 106: My Hiromi
- The Truce at Bakura
- X-wing Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair
- X-wing Rogue Squadron: Battleground: Tatooine
- X-wing Rogue Squadron 25: The Making of Baron Fel
- Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
- X-wing: Rogue Squadron
- X-wing: Wedge's Gamble
- The Courtship of Princess Leia
- Dark Apprentice
- Specter of the Past
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game: Agents of Deception
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Courtship of Princess Leia
- ↑ The Star Wars Holiday Special
- ↑ X-wing Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair
- ↑ Star Wars 106: My Hiromi
- ↑ Vader's Quest 2
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Specter of the Past
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Truce at Bakura
- ↑ Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- ↑ Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- ↑ Outbound Flight
- Handshake on Wikipedia