- "Trapper, Ponds, Hawkeye, come with me!"
- ―Mace Windu
"Hawkeye" was the nickname of a clone trooper who fought for the Grand Army of the Republic during a battle with Separatist forces on the planet Malastare during the Clone Wars. Following the battle, Hawkeye was part of a scouting mission sent to find several other clone troopers who had vanished into a massive sinkhole created by an electro-proton bomb used against the Separatists. Upon locating the troopers, Jedi Master Mace Windu selected Hawkeye, another trooper named Trapper, and Clone Commander Ponds to further investigate the sinkhole. Hawkeye and party, in their search, unknowingly climbed upon a dormant Zillo Beast, an ancient creature of titanic size thought to be extinct. The sight of the awakened beast prompted the scouting party to flee the sinkhole, with the exception of Hawkeye, whom the Zillo Beast trampled to death.
Hawkeye was a clone of the male Human bounty hunter Jango Fett, and was born on planet Kamino to serve in the Grand Army of the Republic. In 22 BBY, he was serving as a clone trooper during the Clone Wars fought between the Galactic Republic and Separatists. That year, the planet Malastare had a large fuel supply that both the Separatists and the Republic wanted for themselves, which sparked a battle on the planet. The Republic sent a taskforce that inlcuded clone troopers, Jedi and a heavy infantry to stop an army of droids in order to keep the fuel supplies secure, with Hawkeye being a part of the Republic group. The Republic also launched a new superweapon, an electro-proton bomb, which was capable of deactivating mechanical objects like speeders, computers, and droids, but had no effect on organics. The bomb worked and all the droids present were deactivated. However, as a side effect, a huge sinkhole was created in the center of the Droid Army. In addition to the Separatist forces, the sinkhole also trapped some clone troopers from the Republic front line who fell into it.
Jedi Master Mace Windu formed a small group to investigate including Hawkeye, Trapper, Ponds, and some other clone troopers to form the search team that went down into the sinkhole. When they managed to find some of the lost clones, the search group learned from them that something else was down in the sinkhole with them. General Windu then led Hawkeye and the other searchers to investigate the area further. In their search, he and the rest of the squad found themselves on a hard surface, which they discovered was actually the back of a giant and ancient creature known as a Zillo Beast. The clones tried to shoot at the beast, but its hide was too thick for their blasters to penetrate, leaving them no choice but to flee from it. While the rest of the team barely escaped to a gunship with the help of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, Hawkeye fell behind and was crushed by the feet of the beast as it chased the rest of the group.
Personality and traits
Behind the scenes
Hawkeye first appeared in "The Zillo Beast," an episode of the second season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series that aired on April 3, 2010. He was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker, who voiced all of the other clone troopers on the show. When originally released, it was not revealed whether the clone trooper who died was Hawkeye or Trapper, as both wore the same armor. Trapper later appeared in "Landing at Point Rain," which was confirmed to take place after "The Zillo Beast" by the eighth part of the Chronicling The Clone Wars blog series. Therefore, Hawkeye was the clone trooper who died in "The Zillo Beast." Hawkeye's name is a nod to the character "Hawkeye" Pierce, from the television sitcom M*A*S*H, which aired in the 1970s through early 80s.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Essential Reader's Companion dates the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film to 22 BBY, while The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 8 (22 BBY 101–102, Spying for the Senate) dates "Senate Spy" to late 22 BBY. Since places "The Zillo Beast" between The Clone Wars film and "Senate Spy," it can be concluded that "The Zillo Beast" also takes place in 22 BBY.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Second Battle of Geonosis occurred after the Battle of Malastare. "The Zillo Beast" occurred during the Battle of Malastare and depicted a clone trooper being crushed by the Zillo Beast, with the two possible clones with the same appearance being Trapper and Hawkeye. As Trapper appeared in "Landing at Point Rain", which was set during the Second Battle of Geonosis, he must have survived the Battle of Malastare, meaning that Hawkeye must have been the clone trooper that was killed. established that the
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- ↑ Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith The Visual Dictionary