- "But I'm not without a heart. Ooops! My mistake…I am without a heart!"
- ―8t88, to Kyle Katarn
The heart was a major internal organ found in many non-sentient creatures and sentient humanoid species. It was responsible for pumping blood through the blood vessels. Any strikes or damage done to the heart was usually fatal to humanoids. Jaina Solo, for instance, killed her brother, Darth Caedus, by striking at his heart with her lightsaber. Over a thousand years earlier, Dessel—the boy who would become Darth Bane—killed his own father, Hurst, by using the dark side to crush the man's heart. The heart of a Human being was located behind the breastbone, and would thud against it under certain emotional conditions.
Some species, such as the Zabrak had two hearts, which had to beat in synchronization to function properly, while the Muun had three hearts. Cereans also had a secondary heart to support their large brains. Chadra-Fan had two hearts, but would die in three days if one of the them failed. The Atoan species did not possess hearts, but rather had numerous "hearts" throughout their bodies.
In terms of medical treatment, there were several manner of equipment which could be used to monitor the heart, such as the various monitors and defibrillators used by Darth Sidious to monitor the status of Darth Vader following his horrific ordeal on Mustafar. Medical personnel used a device called an auscultator to listen to the heart sounds of their patients, as Doctor Kornell Divini did to Memah Roothes on board the first Death Star. A failing heart could also be replaced by a more healthy one through a delicate surgical procedure. 
For many, the heart was also thought of as the seat of emotion. Jabba Desilijic Tiure once told to an extra–galactic spacer they had the heart of Hutt. When young Anakin Skywalker asked his mother if they would ever see each other again, she responded, "What does your heart tell you?" Ten years later, Jedi Grand Master Yoda was pleased to see Senator Padmé Amidala survive an assassination attempt, telling her that it brought warm feelings to his heart. Three years later, Padmé told Anakin that he was breaking her heart after witnessing him turning to the dark side.
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, First Edition
- The Star Wars Rules Companion
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows
- ↑ Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- ↑ Cloak of Deception
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 MedStar I: Battle Surgeons
- ↑ Star Wars Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Queen of the Empire
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command 2
- ↑ Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Death Star
- ↑ Star Wars Math: Jabba's Game Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Heart on Wikipedia