Hibernation trance, healing trance, Jedi hibernation, Force trance, or recovery trance was a control-based ability that would allow Force-users to go into a very deep hibernation state. This slowed the user's metabolism and breathing to a standstill, causing the individual to only use one tenth of the air of a normal individual. A fully trained Force-user could stay in this state for up to one week in a dry climate or one month in a wet climate before dying from lack of water.
Jedi Master Tholme used this ability on numerous occasions, such as during the Mission to Devaron, in order to place himself outside of his former apprentices's (Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos) thoughts so they could fight clearly in times of great struggle.
In 378 BBY, the Kushiban Jedi Master Ikrit discovered the Golden Globe within the Palace of the Woolamander, on the jungle moon of Yavin 4. Unable to break the curse and free the countless trapped Massassi children, he used this ability to wait for someone who could. His hibernation lasted for 356 years, until discovered in 22 ABY by Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila.
A hibernating Force-user would appear dead to all but another Force-user. This could lead to potentially dangerous results for the hibernating individual if nobody was aware of the truth. To avoid such situations, the person in a hibernation trance could provide a trigger phrase that, if recited by another person, would bring the Force-user out of the trance.
Force-users could also use a similar technique to place others in hibernation stance.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Rogue Planet
- Outbound Flight (Mentioned only)
- Jedi: Aayla Secura
- Star Wars: Clone Wars
- "Dorumaa's Children" (Mentioned only)
- Scoundrel's Luck
- The Courtship of Princess Leia (as Jedi trance)
- Heir to the Empire (First appearance)
- I, Jedi (as Jedi trance)
- Jedi Search
- Champions of the Force (as Jedi trance)
- Darksaber (First identified as Hibernation trance)
- Specter of the Past
- Vision of the Future
- Junior Jedi Knights: The Golden Globe
- Vector Prime
- Dark Tide I: Onslaught (as Jedi trance)
- Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (Mentioned only)
- The Unifying Force (as Force trance)
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King (as Force hibernation)
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (as Force hibernation)
- Tempest (as Force hibernation)
- Star Wars: Legacy: Broken (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Legacy—War 6
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, First Edition
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- The Emperor's Pawns (First identified as Force trance)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force