- "Just relax for a moment. You're free of the carbonite. Shh. You have hibernation sickness."
"I can't see."
"Your eyesight will return in time."
- ―Leia Organa and Han Solo
Hibernation sickness, also known as carbon sickness, was a medical condition that could occur when a person was brought out of suspended animation in carbonite. It was characterized by exhaustion, weakness, dehydration, dizziness, memory loss, and temporary blindness. The most serious cases of hibernation sickness could result in death. Han Solo suffered from a mild case of hibernation sickness after being rescued from carbonite by Leia Organa in the palace of Jabba the Hutt.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel" (Mentioned only) (As "carbon sickness")
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ; image #14 (of 16) (First identified as Hibernation sickness)