Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "There goes another one."
- ―Lieutenant Hija, to Gunnery Captain Bolvan
Hija was a Human male lieutenant of the Imperial Navy during the early stages of the Galactic Civil War. He served as the chief gunnery officer aboard the Imperial Star Destroyer Devastator, under the command of Lord Darth Vader. In 7 BBY, Vader commanded Hija to conduct an orbital bombardment of the planet Falleen in order to stop an Imperial-produced bacterial plague from spreading out of control. Later, in 0 BBY, Hija participated in the Devastator's capture of the Rebel CR90 corvette Tantive IV, during which he spotted an escape pod fleeing from the impounded Rebel vessel. However, Gunnery Captain Bolvan ordered Hija not to fire on the pod because the Devastator's gunnery sensors detected no lifeforms aboard.
- "Prepare for an orbital bombardment of Falleen—centering on the research facility, and everything within 40 kilometers."
- ―Darth Vader, to Lieutenant Hija
The Human male Hija was a member of the Galactic Empire's navy during the Imperial Period. By 7 BBY, he was serving under Captain Bolvan as a lieutenant aboard the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator, commanded by the Dark Lord Darth Vader.
Hija was the chief gunnery officer aboard the Devastator when the Star Destroyer arrived at the planet Falleen in 7 BBY as a part of Vader's exploration tour visiting Imperial weapon development projects. After hearing Bolvan's report on an accident in a biological research facility and the following spread of a flesh-eating bacterium across Falleen's surface, Vader ordered an orbital bombardment of the surface to halt any further spread of the leaking bioweapon. Hija was responsible for firing the devastating turbolaser bombardment from the Devastator that destroyed the weapons facility and everything within forty kilometers to cover up the mishap. Among the 200,000 Falleen casualties in the ensuing destruction was the family of Prince Xizor, who later led the Black Sun criminal organization.
In 0 BBY, during the Galactic Civil War, Hija was still serving as the chief gunnery officer of the Devastator, under the direct command of the now–Gunnery Captain Bolvan. After Rebel agents transmitted the stolen plans of the first Death Star, a new Imperial superweapon, to the Rebel CR90 corvette Tantive IV, Senator Leia Organa's consular ship, the Devastator pursued and captured the Rebel vessel over the planet Tatooine. Several escape pods were jettisoned from the Tantive IV during the battle. Hija spotted the pod that, unbeknownst to the Imperials, contained the Rebel droids C-3PO and R2-D2, the latter of whom carried the stolen Death Star plans in his memory banks. However, since the Devastator's gunnery sensors detected no lifeforms within the escape pod, Bolvan ordered Hija to hold his fire in order to conserve power, allowing the droids to escape.
Personality and traitsEdit
When Darth Vader ordered Hija to conduct the orbital bombardment of Falleen that would kill thousands, the lieutenant did not hesitate and carried out his duties at once. Later, when Bolvan instructed him to refrain from firing on the Tantive IV's fleeing escape pod, Hija followed the command of his superior unhesitatingly. Hija chose to wear the prominent sideburns that were popular among Imperial officers around the time of the Battle of Yavin.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Hija character first appeared in the December 1976 novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster. Although he was not credited, actor John Forgeham claimed to have played the character in the 1977 film, according to the fan Web site Star Wars Autographs Online. However, Forgeham would later on acknowledge he had in fact played Bolvan, with actor John Wreford acknowledging the role of Hija.
The A New Hope novel refers to Hija as "one of" the chief gunnery officers under Bolvan's command aboard the Devastator. However, later sources, including the Star Wars Encyclopedia, Star Wars: Behind the Magic, and The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, state that Hija was "the" Devastator's chief gunnery officer. In the revised fourth draft script of A New Hope, as presented in Star Wars: Behind the Magic, Hija is identified as "Chief Pilot," despite managing the Star Destroyer's weapons.
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition 1 (Voice only)
- Star Wars Manga: A New Hope 1
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Art of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 8 (TAN2, Tantive IV and Escape Pod) (Indirect mention only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 10 (HUN1, The Hunt for the Droids) (Indirect mention only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 69 (XIZ2, Prince Xizor)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 , p. 33
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook, p. 32
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Encyclopedia ("Hija, Lieutenant")
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 42 ("Hija, Lieutenant")
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File 69 (XIZ2, Prince Xizor)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization, ch. 1
- ↑ The Jedi Academy Sourcebook, p. 61
- ↑ Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization, Special Edition foreword by George Lucas
- ↑ Star Wars Autographs Online. Retrieved on November 13, 2010.
- ↑ Autograph Classic Trilogy. JMY'S PLANET DAGOBAH. planetdagobah.com (2012-07-25). Retrieved on February 14, 2014. "John Forgham (sic): Captain Bolvan (ANH); Imperial Gunner (ANH)"
- ↑ Autograph Classic Trilogy. JMY'S PLANET DAGOBAH. planetdagobah.com (2012-07-25). Retrieved on February 14, 2014. "John Wreford : Lt.Hija (ANH)"