A homing beacon, homing device, tracer, tracer beacon, tracking device, or pulsing beacon was used to track starships or any other entity being transported. Capable of transmitting data enormous distances, homing beacons could relay the position of a ship even after several hyperspace jumps.
Imperial beacons (and, presumably, ones used by the Galactic Republic) used non-mass HoloNet transceivers located in hyperspatial "S-threads" to track ships through hyperspace. When a homing beacon passed a transceiver, the incident was logged; allowing trackers to determine the heading of a vessel from a collection of these reports.
Many homing beacons were miniaturized, so as to prevent detection by the crew of the ship being tracked. As such, they could be hidden either inside of the ship or tucked in some crevice on the ship's exterior; in fact, some beacon models were small enough to be thrown towards a departing ship's hull.
Obi-Wan Kenobi used such a device on Slave I in order to track Jango Fett to Geonosis just prior to the start of the Clone Wars. Around 3 ABY, IG-88B used a set of ultra-small microtracers to track Boba Fett, Dengar, Bossk, Zuckuss, 4-LOM and their ships, in an attempt to have them do the work of tracking down Han Solo for him.
Grand Master Yoda also used a homing beacon to be tracked by Bail Organa and escape from Palpatine and his shock troopers in Coruscant.
The Empire also used a similar device to track the Millennium Falcon in order to discover the location of the hidden Rebel base on Yavin 4. The beacon was planted aboard the Falcon by a HMOR homing droid.
Drooim-Durtha Systems was a corporation, specializing in the development and manufacturing of tracking devices.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed video game — Ultimate Sith Edition
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Two
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: IG-88's Bold Attack on Boba Fett)
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 65 (Homing Beacons)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 85 (Homing Beacons)
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Agents of Deception (Card: Homing Beacon)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy of Intrigue
- Star Wars: Beware the Sith
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook