Hosnian Prime was a planet in the Hosnian system of the Core Worlds, located along the Corellian Trade Spine. Thirty years after the Battle of Endor, it served as the headquarters of the Galactic Senate and capital of the New Republic during the conflict between the Resistance and the First Order.
In 34 ABY, seeking to rid the galaxy of what it saw as the illegitimate Republic government, the First Order used its superweapon, Starkiller Base, to destroy Hosnian Prime and all other planetary bodies in the system. The superweapon caused the ignition of Hosnian Prime's core, transforming the planet into a star in a pocket nova.
Hosnian Prime was a cosmopolitan planet located in the Core Worlds of the galaxy. Around the time of the Battle of Jakku, it was represented in the New Republic's Galactic Senate by Yuprin Arlo. It was the capital of the New Republic by the time of the conflict between the Resistance, an off-shoot of the Republic, and a military junta inspired by the reign of Emperor Sheev Palpatine who once led the Galactic Empire known as the First Order. The planet was chosen as the Republic's capital and the headquarters of the Galactic Senate through an election; the Senate's location rotated every few years based on what planet was elected to serve as its headquarters at a given time.
The First Order, believing the Republic to be an illegitimate government incapable of maintaining order in the galaxy, targeted the Republic-controlled Hosnian system with a superweapon known as Starkiller Base in an effort to destroy them. The Starkiller turned its sights towards Hosnian Prime and incinerated them with a beam of phantom energy. Chancellor Lanever Villecham, Resistance commander Korr Sella, countless Republic senators, and all the inhabitants of the Hosnian system were all victims in the destruction of the system. In the resulting pocket nova, Hosnian Prime became a second star in its system.
Behind the scenesEdit
Hosnian Prime briefly appeared in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. Information about the planet and its status within the New Republic was elaborated upon in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary.
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- "The Face of Evil" (First mentioned)
- Poe Dameron 7: The Gathering Storm (Appears in flashback(s))
- Poe Dameron 13: The Gathering Storm, Part VI (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part IV
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Backstories: Star Wars – Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Bloodline
- ↑ Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Poe Dameron 7: The Gathering Storm
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel