Hovertrains (also hover-train, bullet car, maglev train, or maglev car) were repulsorlift vehicles with a repulsorlift generator in the main cockpit pod and in every wagon connected behind, and can run over a single rail track, or hung below rail tracks.
Powered by a central generator and used to connect several point in a city for different purposes, they carried immense loads of cargo like ammo, supplies, personnel or used for public transportation.
The train could carry artillery guns on specialized carriages to defend its crew and cargo.
Hovertrains were used on Coruscant as pedestrian transports, which traveled between stations like Elcor Station. During the Battle of Coruscant, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine was escorted by Shaak Ti and Stass Allie in a civilian hovertrain to an underground shelter to escape General Grievous. Such trains also saw service with the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War, on worlds such as Kessel, Aridus and Ord Mantell. A special type of this transportation used by the Empire was called the armored hovertrain.
One hovertrain was also used by the Rebel Alliance on Chandrila to deliver supplies to a city controlled by Kohl Seerdon, all the while being guarded by Rogue Squadron from TIE/sa bombers that attempted to prevent the train from reaching the city.
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Leia Arrives at Xizor's Palace)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Dash Rides Ord Mantell Hovertrain)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Embossed Metal Collector Cards (Card: ISSUE 4: Leia Meets Xizor) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Limited Collector's Edition
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Suns of Fortune
- Strongholds of Resistance
- (As "hover-train")
- (Indirect mention only)