- "Once we were brothers in the Force. But from the Hundred-Year Darkness were born the Sith."
- ―Unidentified Jedi
The Hundred-Year Darkness was a period of time that led to the formation of the Sith, who were once considered brothers in the Force with the Jedi Order. The birth of the Sith led to a number of wars over the course of galactic history.
The Hundred-Year DarknessEdit
Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to believe that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be reached. The Jedi High Council balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was cast out, but he gained followers and formed a new order, which eventually became the Sith.
The birth of the Sith led to countless wars between the two rival sects. The Sith were believed to have been destroyed one thousand years before the Invasion of Naboo, but they eventually returned to galactic prominence and ushered in the Clone Wars. Both sides of the war were controlled by Darth Sidious, known publicly as Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, and allowed him to gain enough power over the galaxy to transform the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire. This led to decades of Sith rule over the galaxy, which lasted until Sidious' death during the Battle of Endor.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Hundred-Year Darkness was a conflict originally created for Star Wars Legends, previously known as the Expanded Universe, and made its first appearance in the comic book series Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi. The event was canonized, with limited detail, in the 2015 comic book Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II.
- Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II (Mentioned only) (First identified as Hundred-Year Darkness)
- (First mentioned; albeit indirectly) (Concurrent with the entry for Sith)
- (First mentioned; albeit indirectly) (Concurrent with the entry for Jedi Order)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The novel Tarkin established that the Sith were in existence at least six thousand years before the Clone Wars.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 3: Descent to the Dark Side
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 4: Death of a Dark Jedi