- "You see? That indicates a hypermatter particle leak. The damage is at a microscopic level, likely localized to one of the several hundred radiation refractors in the Thunderstrike. It's not enough to impact efficiency—but it could leave a trail for Darth Vader to follow."
Hypermatter was a fuel for use in hyperdrives, and hypermatter reactions powered the Death Star's planet-killing superlaser. The main materials of hypermatter could be formed when solar radiation came into contact with the core of a planet, as was the case in the Redhurne system.
The inner planets of the Redhurne system cracked open, exposing their cores to the toxic rays of the Redhurne star, which transmuted the cores into exotic new materials that could be used as the building blocks for hypermatter. These materials were collected from the planetary cores by mining droid for the Galactic Empire.
The Death Star contained a hypermatter reactor as one of the subsystems of the battle station's reactor core. Galen Erso's team proposed the use of a Hypermatter Annihilator Unit, intended to help reduce the recharge time of the superlaser and prevent radiation buildup that caused interference with the hypermatter annihilator. The proposed modification was not approved by Engineering Operations Manager Shaith Vodran. When completed, the Death Star transformed and focused its raw hypermatter reactions into its superlaser, which was powerful enough to destroy an entire planet.
A hypermatter leak in a starship's radiation refractors could leave a trail of particles that could be found and followed. M2-M5, engineering droid of the Sixty-First Mobile Infantry, warned that a hypermatter leak in the Thunderstrike could leave such a trail for Darth Vader to follow.
- Tarkin (First mentioned)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 15: Legend Lost, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide