Often described as a "miniature sun", and incorporating one of the largest single hyperspace field generators ever designed, the massive reactor system occupied more than half of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer's interior. Unlike the reactor system on the older Venator-class, the reactor on board Imperial-class vessels was large enough relative to the rest of the ship to protrude with a ventral bulb. It also forced the troop and crew compartments to be located on the upper half of the superstructure.
Like other heavy warships, it was the size of the power-plant which in turn dictated the size of the Imperator-class. Lira Wessex and her team at Kuat Drive Yards designed the rest of the Star Destroyer around the Sienar drive systems. A version of the I-a2b was later adapted for use in the Bakura-class destroyer.
- Star Wars Screen Entertainment
- Star Wars Technical Journal
- Cracken's Threat Dossier
- Star Wars: Incredible Cross-Sections
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 7 (TIE2, TIE Fighter)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (STA4, Imperial Star Destroyer)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook