IG-100 MagnaGuards, also known as MagnaGuard or Magna Guard, were a type of battle droid created by Holowan Mechanicals. They were a favorite of General Grievous, who used them as his bodyguards during the Clone Wars. MagnaGuards were equipped with electrostaffs that could be used against Jedi lightsabers. They were worthy competitors even to the most skilled Jedi, and the droids had the ability to fight even with the loss of their limbs or head.
Following the Battle of Geonosis, several MagnaGuards accompanied Count Dooku during his negotiations with Jabba the Hutt at his Palace on Tatooine. After Ventress's failure in "rescuing" Jabba's son, Rotta, Dooku sent his MagnaGuards to deal with Skywalker. A pair of MagnaGuards flew Rogue-class starfighters and were able to shoot down Skywalker's ship before they were destroyed. A group of MagnaGuards then attacked Skywalker's apprentice, Ahsoka Tano, with orders to kill Jabba's son near his palace. Tano was able to destroy them all and return Rotta to his father.
Grievous then took another group MagnaGuards with him to Skytop Station. When Grievous's spy, R3-S6, reported that Skywalker had infiltrated his station, Grievous tasked his MagnaGuards with taking R2-D2 to his ship. However, Skywalker and R2 were able to defeat the MagnaGuards.
Several Magnaguards were then stationed at Grievous's fortress on Vassek third moon. However, they were then remotely deactivated by Dooku, in order to test Grievous's skills against the Jedi. After Grievous returned to his castle and found Jedi Kit Fisto, his former apprentice, Nahdar Vebb and Commander Fil's squad there, Grievous reactivated his MagnaGuards to lock-down the castle. One of the MagnaGuards then used a rocket launcher on the clones' Nu-class transport. However, R6-H5 was able to make a quick escape before the MagnaGuards attacked him. R6 was able to knock one of them off Fisto's fighter. The MagnaGuards then assisted him fighting Vebb until Grievous killed him. Grievous and his MagnaGuards then surrounded Fisto as Grievous demanded his surrender. However, Fisto escaped.
Bane then used one aboard his command ship when he attempted to force Jedi Master Bolla Ropal to open the holocron in order to reveal the Kyber memory crystal's information. Grievous was able to use several of his MagnaGuards in subduing and capturing Jedi Council member Eeth Koth. Grievous also used them in his fight with Kenobi aboard a Republic light cruiser at Saleucami.
Dooku then had a trio of them awaiting Skywalker with him at Rish Loo's secret laboratory on Naboo. Together, they were able to capture Skywalker. One of the MagnaGuards then tortured Skywalker with its electro-staff. Several MagnaGuards were also stationed on Serenno at Dooku's palace and the Box. Dooku also used them when he attempted to kidnap the Chancellor, but were defeated by Kenobi and Skywalker. Several of them accompanied Grievous as he massacred the Nightsisters on Dathomir. General Kalani also had several MagnaGuards with him to guard, torture and execute King Rash's prisoners during their execution.
Two MagnaGuards were aboard the Invisible Hand during the Battle of Coruscant. When Jedi Skywalker and Kenobi reacquired their lightsabers that Grievous had taken, the general ordered IG-100 droids to attack them. Both of the MagnaGuards were destroyed by the Jedi in the fight. Another pair were with Grievous when he returned to Utapau and spotted Kenobi landing. They were then destroyed by Kenobi before his and Grievous' final duel.
Age of the EmpireEdit
At some point after the Battle of Yavin, a pair of refitted MagnaGuards were on Nar Shaddaa in the service of Grakkus the Hutt. The two droids battled Luke Skywalker during Grakkus' attempt to steal the young Rebel's lightsaber.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide (First identified as IG-100 MagnaGuard)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lair of Grievous"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Death on Utapau"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Box"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Soft War"