IG-88 was a rogue masculine IG-86 sentinel droid who worked as a bounty hunter. Following the Battle of Hoth, he and several other bounty hunters were summoned by Darth Vader to the Executor and hired to track down the Millennium Falcon and her Rebel crew, though it was ultimately IG-88's chief rival, Boba Fett, who collected the bounty after pursuing the Falcon to Bespin.
A droid of the IG-series, IG-88 was a chrome war droid standing at almost two meters in height, who turned to bounty hunting, becoming one of the most feared hunters in the galaxy—in part due to the lingering fear of droids, particularly those capable of battle and assassination, from the Clone Wars, and a chief rival to the notorious Boba Fett.
After the Battle of Hoth, IG-88 answered a call put out by Darth Vader for bounty hunters to track down the Millennium Falcon. He and several other hunters, including Boba Fett and Bossk, assembled aboard the Executor, where Vader detailed the bounty, allowing his chosen hunters to use any methods necessary to capture Han Solo and his companions. Ultimately, Fett captured Solo in Cloud City on Bespin, and delivered the bounty to Jabba Desilijic Tiure on Tatooine.
Behind the scenesEdit
Although he first appeared in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, IG-88's model was partially built out of recycled props from Episode V's predecessor, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. One such detail includes IG-88's head, which was featured in the Mos Eisley Cantina as a background distillery prop.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 1: Vader
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy: A Graphic Novel
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon (episode)"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Mines of Graballa" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- "A Trip to the Light Side"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (Picture only)