- "We are […] an Empire ruled by a new Constitution!"
The Imperial Charter or Constitutions of the New Order was the highest set of laws in the Galactic Empire. It represented the branch of Imperial legal statutes concerned with Constitutional law. The Galactic Constitution of the Galactic Republic presumably was the basis for the Imperial Charter, with several major changes including the nature of the executive branch, military and law enforcement, and Rights of Sentience as well as the laws passed by Palpatine as Supreme Chancellor. The Emergency Military Powers Act and Decree 77-92465-001 were apparently part of them. The Imperial Senate had the ability to pass amendments to them. Whatever constitution the Empire used was presumably overridden by the state of emergency declared in 0 BBY.
It is not clear if the constitution of the Imperial Remnant, the successor government of the Galactic Empire, was anything other than the Imperial Charter, but from c. 12 ABY, a new de facto political constitution had emerged, with political and military power being held by the Regional Governors of the Moff Council, in alliance with Supreme Commander of the Imperial Fleet. At some point, following the Second Galactic Civil War, the Imperial monarchy was restored by the Fel dynasty after decades of interregnum, though Moffs continued to hold considerable power.
One of the Charter's passages stated that senators could not question an edict of the Galactic Emperor. It also included segments detailing the relationships (including political, military, colonial, transportation, and economic) between the Imperial government and the local systems it ruled.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novel
- Splinter of the Mind's Eye (First appearance)
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- Children of the Jedi
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Galactic Constitution
- New Republic Common Charter
- Galactic Alliance Common Charter
- Galactic Code
- Declaration of a New Order
- Rights of Sentience