- "General Var Suthra had me send a probe droid to the hyperspace data transceiver's location. I learned two things. First, it's on an island. Second, they don't like visitors there. My probe droid wound up disintegrated. Make sure that doesn't happen to you, eh?"
- ―Agent Ottau
The Imperial Listening Post was a secret installation located on an island off the coast of Avilatan, a far larger island on the planet Ord Mantell. Built and operated by the Sith Empire, the outpost was used during the Cold War with the Galactic Republic, and the intelligence gathered by the monitoring station was used to aid the Mantellian Separatist Movement in the Separatist War against the Republic-backed government of Ord Mantell. In 3643 BBY, a young Jedi Knight and the astromech droid T7-O1 attacked the base in order to access the outpost's communications records and trace the whereabouts of the Sith Lord Darth Angral. The two were successful in their mission and eliminated dozens of Imperial troops stationed there.
- "I'd go with you to that island, but I'm allergic to blasters."
The Imperial Listening Post was a largely subterranean facility constructed on an island located off the northern coast of Avilatan, a far larger island on the planet Ord Mantell. The outpost's entrance was an above-ground bunker that contained a large elevator to the lower levels, which consisted of one central chamber, two smaller rooms located off that chamber, and a hallway linking the central chamber to a lift. The facility contained advanced surveillance equipment and communications relays, which the outpost's staff used to eavesdrop on the Republic Military on Avilatan. The post was located only a short distance from the Republic's primary military base at Fort Garnik.
- "Tarnis transmitted details of all our top secret projects to his father. We traced that transmission to the planet Ord Mantell. Darth Angral must have a base there. I need you to find it."
- ―Var Suthra
The Sith Empire established the listening post sometime during the Separatist War, a civil conflict on Ord Mantell between the Galactic Republic-backed planetary government and the Mantellian Separatist Movement. As part of its efforts to destabilize the Republic in the ongoing Cold War, the Empire backed the separatists, giving them information that the listening post gathered from its observations. However, in 3643 BBY, the Sith Lord Darth Angral arrived at the outpost with a number of retainers and apprentices, and he used the facility to contact his son, Tarnis, on the Republic capital of Coruscant. Tarnis was a Sith Lord who was soon killed trying to use the Planet Prison superweapon against Coruscant. Before his death, Tarnis sent his father files on the Republic superweapon initiative, giving Angral knowledge of several Republic weapon programs, and Angral promptly declared war against the Republic for the death of his son.
The Republic Strategic Information Service, the Republic's intelligence agency, was able to trace the transmission to Ord Mantell and discover the outpost, prompting General Var Suthra of the Republic Military to dispatch a young Jedi Knight to Ord Mantell to locate the outpost and potentially put an end to Angral's plans before they could begin. Suthra also contacted on Ord Mantell SIS Agent Ottau, who dispatched a probe droid to scout the facility—though the droid was quickly destroyed by the Imperials stationed there. Angral and his entourage were departing the facility around the time that the Jedi Knight arrived at Ord Mantell with the astromech droid T7-O1, who accompanied the Jedi down to Ord Mantell and met with Ottau.
With Ottau's directions, the duo located the island base and attacked it, killing dozens of Imperial personnel, including the facility commander. They had dispatched most of the facility's staff when they reached the listening post's primary hyperspace transceiver, which was guarded by a Lieutenant Marcovic. Marcovic fell in battle and was unable to prevent T7-O1 from downloading the facility's files and a record of the files that Tarnis sent to Angral. Their mission complete, the Knight and T7-O1 departed the Imperial base and met with Ottau, who planned to send an SIS team to secure the facility.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Imperial Listening Post is a location created for Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare in 2011. It serves as a class-restricted phase for the Jedi Knight class on the planet Ord Mantell, accessible only during the mission "New Intelligence." The location also received an entry in the in-game Codex and was pictured—though not labeled—in the Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "New Intelligence" on Ord Mantell
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Imperial Listening Post"
- ↑ Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Race to the Ruins" on Coruscant
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide