- "The hyperdrive generator's gone, master. We'll need a new one."
"That'll complicate things."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn
The Queen escaped the blockade, but the T-14 hyperdrive generator was damaged.
The hunt beginsEdit
- "This is my apprentice, Darth Maul. He will find your lost ship."
- ―Darth Sidious to Nute Gunray
Darth Sidious sent his apprentice, Darth Maul after the escaped Queen. The trace took him to Tatooine after both Queen Amidala sending a brief transmission to Senator Palpatine (Darth Sidious's public persona), and due to a brief transmission from Naboo Minister Sio Bibble.
Meeting with Skywalker (Day one)Edit
The Royal Starship landed near Mos Espa. Qui-Gon Jinn, Jar Jar Binks, Padmé Amidala, and R2-D2 went into town to search for a new hypderdrive. They entered Watto's junkshop, but Watto did not accept Republic credits. While Jinn bartered, Amidala met the young slave boy Anakin Skywalker. After they left, a sandstorm blew in. Skywalker met with the group and offered to take them to his own home for shelter. There, they met his mother, Shmi Skywalker.
Trading for parts and helping the localsEdit
Jinn traded with the locals for parts to repair Skywalker's podracer.
Repairing the podracer (Day two)Edit
The Boonta Eve (Day three)Edit
Skywalker won the Boonta Eve Classic podrace. Jinn was able to secure his release from Watto, and Skywalker agreed to become a Jedi. On their way back to the Royal Starship, Qui-Gon found one of Darth Maul's DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droids tailing him and Anakin, causing him to strike it down. Qui-Gon, deducing from its unfamiliar presence that they were being spied on, then had Anakin rush to the ship. Upon barely making it back to the ship, they were attacked by Darth Maul. They were able to escape.
Rescuing a QueenEdit
- "I have defeated your war Chief. Allow me to return to my ship safely with the Queen."
- ―Kenobi to other Tusken Raiders.
One night, a tribe of Tusken Raiders infiltrated the Royal Starship. Panaka asked Kenobi to rescue her, so Kenobi infiltrated the camp and fought his way through. He discovered the burial grounds and went to the chambers of the Tusken War Chief. The Jedi defeated the War Chief and left with the Queen.
The Queen and her entourage repaired the hypderdrive and travelled to Coruscant.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "This place is horrible! A vicious murderer has been killing innocent people all over town!"
- ―Padmé Amidala, to Qui-Gon Jinn, not realizing that Jinn actually is the murderer
In the Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game, Qui-Gon can alternatively massacre much of the population of Mos Espa, with merchants and Anakin refusing to help him as a result. However, due to an in-game bug, the quest can still be completed if Qui-Gon massacres the civilians and merchants in the later part of the Mos Espa level.
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace script facsimile
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace PhotoComic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Adventures
- Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles
- Star Wars Manga: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- "Star Wars PocketModel TCG - Base Set" (Card: )(Picture only)
- "Obi-Wan Kenobi: Wizard of the Desert"—Star Wars Insider 112
- The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo (children's book)
- Star Wars: Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- "Obi-Wan Kenobi: Wizard of the Desert"—Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2013
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (remake)