- "The hyperdrive generator's gone, master. We'll need a new one."
"That'll complicate things."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn
The Queen escaped the blockade, but the T-14 hyperdrive generator was damaged.
The hunt beginsEdit
- "This is my apprentice, Darth Maul. He will find your lost ship."
- ―Darth Sidious to Nute Gunray
Darth Sidious sent his apprentice, Darth Maul after the escaped Queen. The trace took him to Tatooine after both Queen Amidala sending a brief transmission to Senator Palpatine (Darth Sidious's public persona), and due to a brief transmission from Naboo Minister Sio Bibble.
Meeting with Skywalker (Day one)Edit
The Royal Starship landed near Mos Espa. Qui-Gon Jinn, Jar Jar Binks, Padmé Amidala, and R2-D2 went into town to search for a new hypderdrive. They entered Watto's junkshop, but Watto did not accept Republic credits. While Jinn bartered, Amidala met the young slave boy Anakin Skywalker. Jar-Jar Binks, disobeying Jinn's advice for him to not touch anything in the shop, accidentally activated a DUM-series pit droid and got into a brief scuffle with it before Skywalker advised him to hit it in the nose to deactivate it. Binks later attempted to juggle some parts just as Jinn walked in, with Jinn chastising him for it. After they left, while exploring the Mos Espa marketplace, Binks got separated from the group, and stumbled upon the Gorgmonger Gragra's Gorg stand. Binks tried to taste one with his tongue out of curiousity, but got caught by Gragra in the act, with her demanding that he pay seven wupiupi credits for it. Binks ended up shocked enough at the price that he spat it out with enough force to send it flying, also sending it into an adjacent building occupied by the Dug podracer Sebulba and landing in his pot of soup. Sebulba then noticed the soup and tasted it, only to express disgust at the taste. Binks then tried to slip away, but the enraged dug noticed him and proceeded to beat him up as revenge before Skywalker intervened. After a brief but heated exchange of words, they went their separate ways, and Skywalker then got Binks reunited with Jinn and NaBerrie, also informing them about the fight. Afterwards, a sandstorm blew in. Anakin then offered to take them to his own home for shelter. There, they met his mother, Shmi Skywalker. Anakin also introduced his friends to his pet project, C-3PO. When learning of their plight, Anakin suggested that he participate in the Boonta Eve Classic to gain the prize money to help his friends get off Tatooine. Although Shmi was reluctant to let her son participate in the race due to its lethality, she relented when Anakin reminded her that she once told him that one of the problems with the galaxy was that "no one helped each other."
Trading for parts and helping the localsEdit
Jinn traded with the locals for parts to repair Skywalker's podracer.
Repairing the podracer (Day two)Edit
The next day, Jinn returned to Watto's shop to barter for the chance to let Anakin race in the Boonta Eve Classic podrace. They spent the rest of the day repairing the podracer. While Naberrie, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Binks aided Anakin in fixing the podracer, Jinn asked Shmi about their pasts. During their exchange, Jinn also learned from Shmi that Anakin simply came into existence in the womb, without a father being involved at all. Meanwhile, although the repairs were completed, the actual launch ended up delayed due to Binks, after having his tongue accidentally caught in the energy binders when retrieving a wrench he dropped, placed his hand inside one of the turbines, requiring C-3PO, Jinn, and Naberrie to help remove him from the turbine. After the delay was fixed, Anakin then activated the Podracer, which operated at expected capacity, to Anakin's glee.
Later, at night, Jinn then nursed some wounds Anakin had received before the latter went to bed. He then transmitted some of the blood he got from his medical treatment of Anakin to Obi-Wan Kenobi to have him analyze the samples. To their shock, it turned out that Anakin's midi-chlorian count surpassed even that of Grand Master Yoda. This, alongside Shmi's earlier statement about Anakin lacking a father, caused Jinn to speculate that Anakin might be the prophesized Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force.
Meanwhile, Darth Maul's Scimitar had landed in the wastelands of Tatooine, and released several DRK-1 Probe Droids to scout out for the Jedi and the Queen.
The Boonta Eve (Day three)Edit
Skywalker won the Boonta Eve Classic podrace. Jinn was able to secure his release from Watto, and Skywalker agreed to become a Jedi. On their way back to the Royal Starship, Qui-Gon found one of Darth Maul's DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droids tailing him and Anakin, causing him to strike it down. Qui-Gon, deducing from its unfamiliar presence that they were being spied on, then had Anakin rush to the ship. Upon barely making it back to the ship, they were attacked by Darth Maul. They were able to escape.
Rescuing a QueenEdit
- "I have defeated your war Chief. Allow me to return to my ship safely with the Queen."
- ―Kenobi to other Tusken Raiders.
One night, a tribe of Tusken Raiders infiltrated the Royal Starship. Panaka asked Kenobi to rescue her, so Kenobi infiltrated the camp and fought his way through. He discovered the burial grounds and went to the chambers of the Tusken War Chief. The Jedi defeated the War Chief and left with the Queen.
The Queen and her entourage repaired the hypderdrive and travelled to Coruscant.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "This place is horrible! A vicious murderer has been killing innocent people all over town!"
- ―Padmé Amidala, to Qui-Gon Jinn, not realizing that Jinn actually is the murderer
In the Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game, Qui-Gon can alternatively massacre much of the population of Mos Espa, with merchants and Anakin refusing to help him as a result. However, due to an in-game bug, the quest can still be completed if Qui-Gon massacres the civilians and merchants in the later part of the Mos Espa level.
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace script facsimile
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace PhotoComic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Adventures
- Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles
- Star Wars Manga: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- "Star Wars PocketModel TCG - Base Set" (Card: )(Picture only)
- "Obi-Wan Kenobi: Wizard of the Desert"—Star Wars Insider 112
- The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo (children's book)
- Star Wars: Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- "Obi-Wan Kenobi: Wizard of the Desert"—Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2013
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (remake)