The Independence was an MC80a star cruiser in service to the Alliance to Restore the Republic by the ending stages of the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire. It participated in the Battle of Endor.
The Independence was an MC80a star cruiser manufactured by Mon Calamari Shipyards. Like other Star Cruisers of the MC80a model, the Independence measured in length at 1,300 meters, was equipped with a deflector shield generator, a class one hyperdrive, and ten ion engines giving it speeds of 975 kilometers per hour. It was armed with thirty-six ion cannons, twenty-nine turbolaser batteries, and six tractor beam projectors. It was crewed by over 5,000 personnel and had a complement of ten starfighter squadrons.
- "Once the shield is down, our cruisers will create a perimeter while the fighters fly into the superstructure and attempt to knock out the main reactor."
- ―Admiral Gial Ackbar, during a briefing before the Battle of Endor
By 4 ABY, the Independence was part of the naval forces of the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire. Along with other MC80a star cruisers such as Home One, Nautilian, Defiance, the Independence participated in the decisive Battle of Endor where the Rebel Alliance sought to destroy the second Death Star and defeat Emperor Sheev Palpatine.
Rebel Alliance Admiral Gial Ackbar's strategy for an Alliance victory was for the capital ships and Star Cruisers to form a perimeter around the second Death Star while starfighters moved into the incomplete battle station's superstructure and destroy it from the inside. The battle was, in actuality, a trap by Emperor Palpatine to destroy the Rebel Alliance, whose naval forces managed to entrap the rebel ships as the second Death Star was revealed to be fully operational, destroying several Rebel Alliance capital ships including the Nautilian and the Liberty.
General Lando Calrissian, believing that the Rebel Alliance would not have another opportunity, convinced Admiral Ackbar to attack the Imperial warships directly, which would protect them longer against the second Death Star's superlaser and because rebel forces could inflict more Imperial casualties. By the end of the battle, the second Death Star was destroyed, Emperor Palpatine would be killed by his own Sith apprentice, Darth Vader, and Imperial forces would withdraw by order of Vice Admiral Rae Sloane.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Independence first appeared in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi and was first identified in the canon encyclopedia, Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles written by Landry Q. Walker and released on April 3, 2018. It debuted in Star Wars Legends in the 1993 video game, Star Wars: X-Wing, released in February of that year.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (First identified as Independence)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles establishes that the Independence is an MC80a star cruiser, which Ultimate Star Wars establishes was manufactured by Mon Calamari Shipyards. Ultimate Star Wars furthermore states that the MC80a star cruiser is a variant of the MC80 star cruiser, can carry ten starfighter squadrons, and has a crew of over 5,000.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 According to the MC80 star cruisers were equipped with deflector shield generators. According to Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles, the Independence is an MC80a star cruiser, which Ultimate Star Wars states is a variant of the MC80 star cruiser. ,
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY. Because the Independence participated in the Battle of Endor, it must have been part of the Rebel Alliance by that time.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: X-Wing
- ↑ 10.0 10.1