Iron was an element commonly found in asteroids and, occasionally, on planets. It could be extracted from the iron ore minerals magnetite and hematite. Ruusan was said to have significant deposits of iron. Mandalore also had deposits of especially strong Mandalorian iron.
Iron was used in the making of many objects. It was used with concrete to make ferroconcrete. Pummelstaves were constructed from tubes of iron. The city of Thousand Thousand on Makem Te had structures composed of iron, which survived several wars with little exterior damage. The door to the palace of Jabba the Hutt was made of iron.
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Two
- "Lan Barell"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, Second Edition
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, Second Edition
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 8 (TAN2, Tantive IV and Escape Pod)
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Strongholds of Resistance