- "We're almost out of this mess. If we can just make it through this nebula, we're all clear."
"I've got a bad feeling about this."
- ―The Redemption's Captain and Luke Skywalker during the ambush
After the evacuation of Alliance High Command from the Rebel base at Yavin 4 in 0.5 ABY, two convoys were directed to rendezvous in the Ison Corridor. Upon arrival, though, the first convoy was wiped out by an Imperial-class Star Destroyer that was previously hidden in a nebula, although it came at the cost of said Star Destroyer.
The second convoy, led by the frigate Redemption, and consisting of six GR-75 medium transports escorted by three T-65B X-wing starfighters, arrived to discover the area littered with ruined ship parts. The frigate's Captain realized they had to move through the debris field before escaping. Suddenly, squadrons of TIE fighters ambushed the convoy from three different directions.
At the start of the battle, Red Leader Luke Skywalker noticed an object within some space debris. Temporarily leaving the battle, he managed to find an advanced proton torpedo tech upgrade before returning to defend the transports.
Because of the agility of the TIE Interceptors, the Rebels had to switch to a faster craft than their X-wings, which incited Red Squadron's first use of A-wings in battle. Skywalker docked with the frigate and took control of an A-wing.
Then, once the Interceptors were destroyed, the convoy had to move through a nebula before they could jump to hyperspace and escape. The convoy moved into the nebula, and more TIE Fighters and TIE Interceptors attacked them through the dim lights of the nebula. The Rebel pilots managed to destroy all nearby TIE fighter squadrons, although they needed to use their targeting computers to do so under Luke's command beforehand.
After the convoy arrived, the Rebels began the long process of creating Echo Base, which would later be the site of a key battle in the Galactic Civil War. After the death of Narra and the destruction of Renegade Flight, Skywalker was promoted to Commander and put in charge of the squadron.
Behind the scenesEdit
The ambush appeared in the video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. Picking up the upgrade in the mission will fulfill the bonus objective, and the player has the option of switching to the A-wing mid-mission. The convoy may take up to five casualties before failing the mission, but this article assumes 100% completion. The game's campaign was included in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, although the co-op version features nine transports to defend. This article follows the original portrayal. The objective to defend at least one transport remained.
Dialogue from Wedge Antilles revealed that the A-Wings were actually first deployed during this battle, leaving some contradictions regarding A-wings participating in battles taking place before the Ison Corridor ambush, and eventually led to a retcon where the ships before the battle were labelled as the R-22 Spearheads, the predecessor to the A-wing.
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (First appearance) (First identified as Ison Corridor ambush)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (In co-op)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ "Death Star Pirates"—Star Wars Tales 8
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 4.23 4.24 4.25 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide