- "You talk brave for one who is about to journey down the throat of my favorite kell dragon."
- ―Jabba the Hutt to Kyle Katarn before the latter's attempted execution
The Hutt crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure owned a pet kell dragon that he referred to as his favorite kell dragon. Jabba's favorite was one of several kell dragons that lived on his Minstrel-class space yacht Star Jewel. During the year 1 ABY, Jabba's yacht captured the starship Moldy Crow over the moon Nar Shaddaa. While its pilot was imprisoned, the ship's passenger, Rebel mercenary Kyle Katarn, was taken to be fed to Jabba's favorite kell dragon. However, Katarn killed the beast with his bare hands, and escaped the Star Jewel soon after.
- "I'm normally an optimistic guy, but how do you fight a Kell dragon with your bare hands?"
- ―Kyle Katarn questions his ability to fight the kell dragon
By the year 1 ABY, the Hutt crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure had obtained a large, green-skinned kell dragon. Jabba came to regard the kell dragon as his favorite kell dragon out of the others that he owned. At some point, the kell dragon took residence on Jabba's Ubrikkian Industries Minstrel-class space yacht Star Jewel. It lived in a large, spacious room that had two large doors on either side of it. One door led into a large execution pit.
During this time, Jabba was conducting business with the Galactic Empire, supplying smugglers to aid General Rom Mohc in the creation of droid soldiers called dark troopers. Mohc faced persistent opponents, however, whom Jabba did not know. As it were, Mohc's enemies were the mercenary Kyle Katarn and the Rebel Alliance agent Jan Ors, the former being someone that Jabba was at least aware of. Katarn eventually raided an Imperial facility on the moon Nar Shaddaa which resulted in the theft of a nava card that contained the routes that Jabba's smugglers used. After Ors retrieved Katarn, their starship Moldy Crow was captured by the Star Jewel. Ors was imprisoned, the nava card stocked in a guarded room, and Katarn was brought before the kell dragon's pit.
Jabba, who was not aboard the Star Jewel at the time, conversed with Katarn briefly over a Holoprojector seeing Katarn for the first time. Katarn threatened Jabba, to which the Hutt merely commented that the human talked brave for someone who was about to be consumed. Jabba's only regret was that he would not be present to see his kell dragon in action. Katarn was thrown into the pit, and the door to the dragon's room opened, releasing the kell dragon. Against the odds, Katarn beat the kell dragon and killed it with his bare hands. A door opened revealing more kell dragons and an exit, and Katarn fought his way through the ship, rescuing Jan and retrieving his gear and the nava card in the process, and the Rebels escaped the Star Jewel.
Personality and traitsEdit
Jabba's favorite kell dragon was a large, green-skinned kell dragon with blue spines and white eyes with black irises. The kell dragon tended to leap at its prey.
Behind the scenesEdit
Jabba's favorite kell dragon first appeared in the 1995 video game Star Wars: Dark Forces, where it appeared at the start of the tenth level. Players could only fight the beast with their bare hands, and killing it was mandatory in order to continue the game. Depending on the game's difficulty level, the number of kell dragons that the player must initially face can change from one kell dragon to three kell dragons. However, more kell dragons are revealed only after the death of Jabba's favorite.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6 places the outbreak of the Candorian plague on Dentaal on 36:2:12, which falls in 0 ABY. The Official Star Wars Fact File 130 (MAD2-3, General Crix Madine) tie together the events of Star Wars: Dark Forces and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and Madine's own recollections in Darksaber as follows: upon learning of the Dark Trooper Project, Madine alerts the Rebel Alliance to the project's existence, thus starting the events of Dark Forces. Shortly afterwards, Madine is ordered to release the Candorian plague on Dentaal, an event which is dated to 36:2:12 per the Adventure Journal. Madine vanishes into the wilderness shortly afterwards, spending a week in the jungles of Dentaal before escaping and fleeing the planet—only to be captured almost immediately by General Rom Mohc and imprisoned on Orinackra. Kyle Katarn then frees Madine from Orinackra, and Madine is then involved in the battle at Corellia. The New Essential Chronology states that only a short amount of time passed between Madine telling the Alliance about the Dark Troopers and his defection. The length of time Madine spends on the run places his capture and imprisonment on Orinackra firmly in the month 36:3, or the first month of 1 ABY. Therefore, the events of Dark Forces prior to the mission to Orinackra fall in 0 ABY, and the remainder of the game, including the mission to Nar Shaddaa, occur in 1 ABY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Star Wars: Dark Forces