- "By that time, there had been a new member added to the crew of the Ghost—Spectre-7, Jacen Syndulla. Born to fly, just like his mother; and well, we all know what his father was like."
- ―Sabine Wren
Jacen Syndulla was a male human and Twi'lek hybrid who was born during the time of the Galactic Civil War. He was the son of General Hera Syndulla and the late Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus, and the grandson of Twi'lek revolutionary leader Cham Syndulla.
Jacen Syndulla was born to General Hera Syndulla of the Rebel Alliance sometime after the liberation of Lothal, which occurred shortly before the outbreak of the Galactic Civil War. His father was Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus, who was killed in combat against the Galactic Empire while saving Hera and their crew shortly before Lothal's liberation. His grandfather was the Twi'lek revolutionary leader Cham Syndulla, a legendary veteran of the Clone Wars and the fight against the Empire.
Syndulla grew up during the Galactic Civil War, which his mother fought in for the Rebel Alliance. By the time the Empire was shattered in 4 ABY, during the Battle of Endor, the young Syndulla was already considered a member of his mother's crew on the starship Ghost. He was given the callsign Spectre 7.
Personality and traitsEdit
Jacen Syndulla was a male hybrid, born to a human father and a Twi'lek mother. He had mostly human features, though his green hair was similar to his mother's green skin. Even at a young age, Hera's old friend and crew member, Sabine Wren, recognized that Syndulla was born to fly just like his mother.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "It seemed, in a very small way, naming him 'Jacen' was a way to honor the expanded universe character of Jacen Solo who just really isn't there anymore as the timelines have changed. I thought that's a little bit of a wink to people that I know that was an important character. And maybe, in some way, that lives on through this character. I don't know yet."
- ―Dave Filoni on Jacen Syndulla's namesake
Jacen Syndulla was introduced in the epilogue of "Family Reunion – and Farewell," the series finale of Star Wars Rebels. His first name, Jacen, was inspired by Jacen Solo, the son of Leia Organa Solo and Han Solo in the Star Wars Legends continuity.
The decision to introduce Jacen Syndulla in the series finale was one that executive producer Dave Filoni had been thinking of throughout production on the fourth season. He initially only shared his idea with Kiri Hart, the head of the Lucasfilm Story Group, who was supportive of the character's introduction. Filoni deliberately chose the name Jacen as a way of honoring the character of Jacen Solo and his importance in the stories of Star Wars Legends.
Though Filoni says he has not given much thought to where the character might go in future stories, many creatives within Lucasfilm have expressed interest in the future of the character since the Star Wars Rebels finale aired on March 5, 2018.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell"
- ↑ Rhea, Brandon (March 5, 2018). How Luke Skywalker Influenced the "Star Wars Rebels" Finale. FANDOM. Retrieved on March 6, 2018.
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Jedi Night"
- ↑ The Star Wars Rebels episode "Homecoming" establishes that Cham Syndulla is Hera Syndulla's father, making him Jacen Syndulla's grandfather.
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Homecoming"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ screenshot) (
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Lussier, Germain (March 9, 2018). Lucasfilm Creatives Are Very Interested in That New Star Wars Rebels Character. io9. Retrieved on March 9, 2018.