- "I am happy to be a part of the whole cult movement. But they are scary. People are fanatics. I went to a comic-book convention once. George Lucas wrote me a statement to make as nasty as Dark Vader. It was a salutation. But at least I had something to do. I don't sign autographs."
- ―James Earl Jones on Star Wars conventions
James Earl Jones is an actor and voice actor who voiced the masked Darth Vader in the Star Wars films, including the Holiday Special. He does not actually appear onscreen, as his voice was dubbed over while the suit was worn by David Prowse and stuntman Bob Anderson in the original trilogy, the Holiday Special, and while Hayden Christensen wore the suit in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. He will once again reprise the role in the upcoming anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
Jones attended the University of Michigan. Although born in the state, he spent his childhood in Mississippi.
In March of 1977, Jones spent only one day recording Darth Vader's voice-over dialogue for Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope at Goldwyn Studios. As such, Jones refused to be credited until the release of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, even going as far as telling people it wasn't he who did the voice-over.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- The Star Wars Holiday Special
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Interactive Video Board Game
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (ABC premiere)
- Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- "Speaking for Darth: The Magic of James Earl Jones"—Star Wars Insider 25
- Star Wars Insider 49
- Star Wars: The Complete Vader
Notes and referencesEdit
- James Earl Jones on Wikipedia
- James Earl Jones Downstage Center interview at American Theatre Wing, April 2008