- "We have orders to deliver these bombers to General Dodonna's unit. They're part of a wider rebellion we're working to build."
- ―Hera Syndulla, referring to the Y-wing bombers stolen by the Phoenix Squadron
General Jan Dodonna, a former bridge officer on a Venator-class Star Destroyer during the Clone Wars, became disillusioned with the Galactic Empire and defected to the growing rebellion, a loose collection of rebel cells secretly coordinated by Imperial Senator Bail Organa, and by 5 BBY, he led a team of rebels against the Empire. Leevan Tenza was a member of this group, however an incident where he disobeyed orders and preemptively engaged an Imperial target led to his court martial and defection to Saw Gerrera's Partisans.
In 2 BBY, members of Phoenix Squadron, which also operated as part of the rebel network, managed to steal five antiquated Republic Navy BTL Y-wing light bombers from an Imperial salvage yard, which they planned to deliver to the unit. The Y-wings eventually made their way to Dodonna's unit, where they would become part of Gold Squadron, the cell's starfighter squadron led by Gold Leader Captain Jon 'Dutch' Vander.protecting rebel convoys as well as attacking a few soft Imperial targets.
Shortly after the delivery of the Y-wings, Senator Mon Mothma was forced to flee her homeworld of Chandrila as a branded traitor after publicly denouncing the Empire. Gold Squadron took on the duty of protecting the Senator and escorting her to Dantooine, where they would rendezvous with other rebel cells. Meeting up with the Phoenix Squadron Spectres for refueling of the Senator's Taylander shuttle Chandrila Mistress, the squadron was attacked by TIE fighters and forced to jump to hyperspace. At the advice of Phoenix Leader Hera Syndulla, the rebels took the old smuggler's route through the Archeon Nebula to escape the Lothal sector undetected. However, an experimental TIE/D Defender starfighter decimated the squadron, until it was stopped by Vander and Ezra Bridger (flying as Gold Two). The remaining squadron members, Vander and the original Gold Two, then arrived safely with the Senator at Dantooine. General Dodonna would arrive with Jun Sato and the rest of Phoenix Squadron shortly after, and, with the arrival of the other cells, the Alliance to Restore the Republic would be formed.
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 In Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow it's said that the Y-wings liberated by Phoenix Squadron are for Jan Dodonna's unit. As such, Gold Squadron, who utilizes these Y-wings, must be part of Jan Dodonna's unit.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ The events of this article take place in or after Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow, which is the first known episode to take place in the second year before the Battle of Yavin. As such, we can deduce that this event takes place in the second year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.