- "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
- ―Luke Skywalker
The weapon of a Jedi was the lightsaber, a blade made of pure energy. Jedi fought for peace and justice in the Galactic Republic, usually against their mortal enemy: the Sith, who studied the dark side of the Force.
The Jedi were of ancient origins, having been present in the galaxy for over one thousand generations. There were ten thousand Jedi in the galaxy before the Clone Wars. At the end of the war, however, they were all but destroyed by the Sith during and after the execution of Order 66, leaving very few Jedi survivors until there was only one known living Jedi, Luke Skywalker, at the end of the Galactic Civil War.
Skywalker rebuilt the order in the years after the Galactic Civil War, but his nephew and apprentice, later dubbed Kylo Ren, massacred all of its members, leaving Skywalker once again as the last remaining Jedi.
- Jedi youngling: A young child who was Force-sensitive would be identified at birth and taken to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to be trained as a Jedi. They were to be put into classes of other Jedi younglings and trained together before being taken as an apprentice by a Jedi Knight. Younglings were not to be trained once they had reached a certain age, with the sole exception to this rule being Anakin Skywalker. Younglings would participate in the Gathering, which was the pilgrimage to the Ilum Temple to gain a kyber crystal for their lightsaber.
- Padawan: A youngling who had been chosen by a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master to train under their tutelage personally into becoming a fully fledged Jedi Knight. Their readiness was decided by the Initiate Trials. Padawans wore a braid.
- Jedi Knight: Once a Padawan has successfully passed the Jedi trials, they were be granted the rank of Jedi Knight and went out on missions of their own, no longer under the tutelage of a master.
- Jedi Master: A Jedi Knight was granted the rank of Jedi Master and offered a seat on the Jedi High Council when they had shown great skill, wisdom and devotion to the Force. When a Jedi Knight successfully led a Padawan to becoming a Jedi Knight themselves, they would also be granted the rank of Master.
- Grand Master: The leader of the Jedi High Council, the position of Grand Master was given to the oldest and considered to be the wisest member of the Jedi Order.
Some Jedi had specific jobs or titles:
- Master of the Order: This position was assumed by the leader of the Jedi Order. He or she had to be voted unanimously into the position by the Jedi High Council.
- Jedi Temple Guard: Headed by Cin Drallig during the Clone Wars, these anonymous Jedi guarded the Jedi Temple with lightsaber pikes.
- Jedi General: A title given to those given commanding roles in the Grand Army of the Republic during the Clone Wars.
- Jedi investigator: Detectives aiding police with the use of the Force. They also used crime scene analysis droids.
- Chief Librarian: The overseer of the Jedi Archives and Holocron Vault.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First (Non-canonical appearance)
- Epic Yarns: A New Hope (Non-canonical appearance)
- Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back (Non-canonical appearance)
- Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi (Non-canonical appearance)
Notes and references
- Jedi on Wikipedia