- "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
- ―Luke Skywalker
The weapon of a Jedi was the lightsaber, a blade made of pure energy which have different colours. Jedi fought for peace and justice in the Galactic Republic, usually against their mortal enemy: the Sith, who studied the dark side of the Force.
The Jedi were of ancient origins, having been present in the galaxy for over one thousand generations. There were ten thousand Jedi in the galaxy before the Clone Wars. At the end of the war, however, they were all but destroyed by the Sith during and after the execution of Order 66, leaving very few Jedi survivors until there was only one known living Jedi, Luke Skywalker, at the end of the Galactic Civil War.
Skywalker rebuilt the order in the years after the Galactic Civil War, but his nephew and apprentice Ben Solo, later dubbed Kylo Ren, massacred all of its members, leaving Skywalker once again as the last remaining Jedi.
- Jedi youngling: A young child who was Force-sensitive would be identified at birth and taken to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to be trained as a Jedi. They were to be put into classes of other Jedi younglings and trained together before being taken as an apprentice by a Jedi Knight. Younglings were not to be trained once they had reached a certain age, with the sole exception to this rule being Anakin Skywalker. Younglings would participate in the Gathering, which was the pilgrimage to the Ilum Temple to gain a kyber crystal for their lightsaber.
- Padawan: A youngling who had been chosen by a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master to train under their tutelage personally into becoming a fully fledged Jedi Knight. Their readiness was decided by the Initiate Trials. Padawans wore a braid.
- Jedi Knight: Once a Padawan has successfully passed the Jedi trials, they were be granted the rank of Jedi Knight and went out on missions of their own, no longer under the tutelage of a master.
- Jedi Master: A Jedi Knight was granted the rank of Jedi Master and offered a seat on the Jedi High Council when they had shown great skill, wisdom and devotion to the Force. When a Jedi Knight successfully led a Padawan to becoming a Jedi Knight themselves, they would also be granted the rank of Master.
- Grand Master: The leader of the Jedi High Council, the position of Grand Master was given to the oldest and considered to be the wisest member of the Jedi Order.
Jedi military ranks
- Jedi Commander: Jedi Commander was a military rank granted to Padawans and Jedi Knights, who takes leadership positions within in the Republic Army and serve as the second-in-command to a Jedi General; it was the second highest military rank in the Republic Army that a Jedi can achieve.
- Jedi General: Jedi General was a military rank granted to Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters, who serve as generals within the Republic war effort; it was the highest military rank in the Republic Army that a Jedi can achieve.
Some Jedi had specific jobs or titles:
- Master of the Order: This position was assumed by the leader of the Jedi Order. He or she had to be voted unanimously into the position by the Jedi High Council.
- Jedi Temple Guard: Headed by Cin Drallig during the Clone Wars, these anonymous Jedi guarded the Jedi Temple with lightsaber pikes.
- Jedi investigator: Detectives aiding police with the use of the Force. They also used crime scene analysis droids.
- Consular Jedi: The ones who devoted themselves to the study of diplomacy or science, avoiding combat and warfare duties.
- Chief Librarian: The overseer of the Jedi Archives and Holocron Vault.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures
- Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Doctor Aphra 2: Aphra, Part II
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy"
- ↑ Bloodline
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi"
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi"
- ↑ . “Haven't seen my chin since May '15, so #FarewellFacialFur & #ByeByeBeard (at least til #EpisodeIX) @popculturequest”
- Jedi on Wikipedia