- "There is more knowledge here than anywhere else in the galaxy."
- ―Jocasta Nu
Established in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant by the Jedi Order early in the Temple's history, the Archives held the remnants of the texts once stored in the Great Jedi Library of Ossus. The Archives contained historical records dating back thousands of years; maps of the entire galaxy; scientific, mathematical and astronomical journals; engineering and technology documents; and Jedi records on the Sith. It detailed the geography and cultures of various planets and species across the galaxy, as well as their zoology and botany. Secrets about how the Jedi used the Force and biographies of numerous Jedi and their identification details were also housed in the Archives.
Built near the top of the Temple Ziggurat, the Archives was a two-story cruciform chamber centered around a large rotunda. Four wings branched out from the rotunda and held tens of millions of books. The central reference desk was located at the heart of the Archives.
The Chief Librarian, assisted by associate librarians and JN-66 and SP-4 analysis droids, administered the Archives. During the Clone Wars, it was overseen by Jocasta Nu, who would assist Jedi in finding the information they needed and also controlled access to the restricted Holocron Vault within the library. Before the Battle of Geonosis, Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi tried to find information on the planet Kamino to find the bounty hunter Jango Fett. He and Jocasta Nu discovered that there was no information on the system. Kenobi and Yoda deduced that a Jedi had erased the information on Kamino.
When Emperor Palpatine converted the Temple into his Palace, he allowed the Grand Inquisitor to study the records about the Jedi and their combat forms. The Imperial Security Bureau took control of the secrets within the Archives, removing all Jedi-related material and destroying much of their history in the process within a year of the library's seizure.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lightsaber Lost"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel" (Mentioned only)
- Kanan 7: First Blood, Part I: The Corridors of Coruscant
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 2: The Chosen One, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 3: The Chosen One, Part III (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 6: The Chosen One, Part VI
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 9
- Star Wars Rebels – "Rise of the Old Masters" (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Factivity Collection: Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away (As "Temple Archives")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Nexus of Power
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Rise of the Old Masters"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones DVD (Commentary)