The Jedi Temple Communication Center was a sprawling complex of chambers designated for the transmission and receiving of communications from across the galaxy. Funneled through the reception/transmission antennas which crowned each of the four Council Towers of the Jedi Temple, transmissions flowing along the HoloNet kept the Jedi Order informed of goings on across the galaxy.
Established within the Coruscant Jedi Temple before 1000 BBY the communications center was a massive complex with chambers spread throughout the Temple. The center was responsible for receiving and transmitting messages to and from the Temple from far off planetary governments and Jedi working in the field. The technicians stationed in these chambers were highly trained to be able to decrypt and analyze sensitive data vital to the operation of the Order.
During the early months of the Clone Wars, Master Mace Windu communicated with Grand Master Yoda from one of the comm center's private booths. Days after the Battle of Kamino, Windu was distraught over the suicide of the Mon Calamari leader Merai during the battle. Several weeks later Master Yoda was back in the Temple and was summoned to the comm center by Communications Chief Ban-yaro in order to receive a report by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Knight Anakin Skywalker. Concerning the undercover mission to Lanteeb, the Grand Master would opt to spend the night in the comm room so that he could take Kenobi's future messages as they came to the Temple.
In 22 BBY the Jedi High Council suspected that there would be an assault on the Temple and it's communication's hub. Sending Jedi Anakin Skywalker to the communication center of the Tower of First Knowledge which housed Jedi transmitter codes and crucial war information, Grand Master Yoda and Master Mace Windu secured the comm room which serviced the High Council Tower. While the Jedi were occupied with the communication centers, the Sith-employed bounty hunters Cad Bane and Cato Parasitti were infiltrating the Temple library's Holocron Vault. To further distract the Jedi, Bane sent his droid Todo 360 into the High Council Tower's comm center with a thermal detonator strapped to his back. While managing to infiltrate the center, the droid was pushed back into a ventilation shaft by Master Windu through the use of the Force.
When General Grievous, leader of the Droid Army of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, captured High Council member Eeth Koth a holorecording was prepared and transmitted to the Temple. Receiving the recording in one of the comm center's briefing rooms, the High Council dispatched Masters Kenobi and Adi Gallia, along with Jedi Skywalker, to rescue Master Koth and defeat Grievous if possible. As a result of the assault on Grievous's fleet the First Battle of Saleucami broke out; while Koth was rescued, Grievous managed to escape.
As the Clone Wars drew to its climax and the High Council began to close in on the mysterious Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, Captain Dyne of Republic Intelligence met Masters Yoda and Windu in the data room to review their leads. Dyne discussed the potential problems that might be faced between the Galactic Republic and the Xi Char, and revealed that he had deciphered the code that Grievous had been using to contact the Separatist Council. Soon after, General Grievous launched his assault on Coruscant causing Coruscant's security shields to cut off all comm systems from the Temple. While Knight Lari Oll struggled to Master Yoda struggled to discern what Sidious' plan was. Attempting to raise both Masters Windu and Shaak Ti, Oll failed but Master Yoda was able to stretch out in the Force and detected his fellow Jedi traveling about the planet. While deep in his meditation Yoda, for the first time, was able to sense the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Sidious.
Days after the battle, Master Kenobi reported to the Temple and held a briefing on the Outer Rim Sieges in one of the many comm center’s briefing rooms. While Masters Shadday Potkin, Ma'kis'shaalas, J'oopi Shé, Koffi Arana, Melik Galerha, Jurokk, J'oopi Shé and Olana Chion attended, Jedi Skywalker arrived as the briefing dismissed, earning a slight reprimand from his former master. Kenobi would inform Skywalker that the Supreme Chancellor had sent a shuttle to the Temple to take him for a private meeting in his private offices.
As the High Council discovered that Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious were one in the same, the Temple was locked down as Master Windu and the Council moved to arrest him. When the Masters failed, Sidious used his authority as Supreme Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic to set into motion Operation: Knightfall which would pit the troops of the 501st Legion against the Jedi still stationed at the Temple. Raiding the complex the troopers, led by Darth Vader, destroyed the Temple. Having just secured the communication center's beacon chamber Vader began his hunt for Cin Drallig, one of the last resistance leaders at the Temple. On his hunt for Drallig, Vader was confronted by Knight Serra Keto in a briefing room near the base of the Tower of First Knowledge. Dueling through the upper level of the briefing room and out into a hallway, Vader finally defeated Keto in a training dojo within the tower.
The comm center fell silent as the Sith analyzed and copied the data within the databanks. With the beacon chamber locked down and transmitting a recall-signal, it was tightly guarded by clone assassins. When Masters Yoda and Kenobi broke into the Temple they quickly made their way to the beacon chamber and changed the code warning all Jedi to stay away. The comm center would survive along with the rest of the Temple throughout the Galactic Civil War and the rise of the New Republic. While the New Jedi Order was able to occupy the Temple briefly, the Yuuzhan Vong War saw the utter destruction of the complex. While the Temple was eventually rebuilt under the Galactic Alliance, whether the comm center was rebuilt as it had been is unknown; though it can be assumed it was recreated in some form if not the exact set-up as before.
A sprawling facility, the communications center was a multi-tiered complex within the Jedi Temple. While the main facility was centralized within the Temple, smaller satellite chambers were scattered throughout the edifice for use by the Jedi Councils. Several briefing rooms were used to inform those Jedi about to depart on missions. Filled with computer terminals, security panels, holoprojector tables, each chamber was completely hooked up to the HoloNet through the powerful comm disks in the Council Towers.
The main comm center was made up of several comm stations, including a high security chamber which was code locked. Access to the chamber was restricted and used for Jedi on undercover missions to contact the High Council. The smaller chambers located around the Temple were used for briefings and lectures. Sunken two-level chambers, these comm centers were equipped with holoscreens on the walls and a large holotable situated underneath. On the other end of the oval-shaped chamber were rows of seating for those attending meetings to sit and observe the presentations.
At the base of the High Council Tower was the comm center which contained the central security station and the beacon chamber. Situated next to the rooftop surface utility garage this sprawling hub serviced the Jedi High Council and their headquarters in the High Council Tower.
- Clone Wars Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- The Clone Wars: Wild Space
- Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist" (First identified as Jedi Temple communication center)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "R2 Come Home"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Deception"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Friends and Enemies"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novel
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith video game
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith junior novel
- Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (See Galerha, Melik)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Labyrinth of EvilDescribes the communications center housing the beacon.
- ↑ Fate of the Jedi: Abyss
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
- ↑ Clone Wars Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- ↑ Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand