- "The holocrons contain the most closely guarded secrets of the Jedi Order."
- ―Jocasta Nu
Jedi holocrons were Jedi artifacts used to store information and teachings of the Jedi Order. Holocrons were constructed with a security mechanism preventing non-Force-sensitive individuals from opening them and accessing the secrets held within. The teachings contained in Jedi holocrons were typically relayed to whomever opened them as an interactive hologram, appearing as the Jedi Master who had recorded the information. Sharing the knowledge found on Jedi holocrons with those who were not members of the Jedi Order was discouraged, as the majority of holocrons contained data relating to the nature and applications of the Force. Holocrons were stored within the Holocron Vault, located within the Jedi Archives of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Access to the Vault was only permitted to Jedi who currently served on the Jedi High Council.
Many holocrons could only be unlocked when paired with a memory crystal, such as the Kyber memory crystal, entrusted to the Rodian Jedi Master Bolla Ropal during the Clone Wars, which contained a list of all known Force-sensitive younglings. The bounty hunter Cad Bane, under the employ of the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, captured Ropal and acquired the Kyber crystal after previously stealing a holocron from the Jedi temple. Ropal refused to unlock the crystal's data for Bane, however Bane soon managed to force Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker to open the holocron for him after capturing his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano.
Later in the war, Jedi Master Depa Billaba owned a holocron which she passed onto her apprentice, Caleb Dume, after the conclusion of the Conquest of Kaller and shortly before her demise during Order 66. It was used by him, Ezra Bridger, and Ahsoka Tano up until 2 BBY when it was destroyed whilst being merged with a sith holocron.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Kanan 1: The Last Padawan, Part I: Fight
- Kanan 2: The Last Padawan, Part II: Flight
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 2: The Chosen One, Part II
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 3: The Chosen One, Part III
- Kanan 3: The Last Padawan, Part III: Pivot
- Kanan 5: The Last Padawan, Part V: Release
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- The Rebellion Begins
- Droids in Distress book
- The Secret Jedi: The Adventures of Kanan Jarrus: Rebel Leader
- Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi"
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Visions and Voices"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twin Suns"
- Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Kanan 1: The Last Padawan, Part I: Fight
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom"
- ↑ Kanan 2: The Last Padawan, Part II: Flight
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Visions and Voices"
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II