Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Joseph Eggleston "Joe" Johnston III (born May 13, 1950 in Austin, Texas) is a well-known American film director, responsible for such films as The Rocketeer , Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III, October Sky, Jumanji, and Captain America: The First Avenger amongst others.
Johnston was educated at California State University, Long Beach, as well as the Art Center College of Design. Johnston responded to an ad looking for a storyboard artist at college, which turned out to be for George Lucas's Lucasfilm Ltd. company. Johnston began working at the company, eventually promoted to a head storyboard position that frequently teamed him with Lucas in the editing room. Johnston later referred to working for Lucas as the best film school he could ever have when he watched Lucas do the editing for the original trilogy. Eventually, Johnston became disillusioned with his job and decided to leave Lucasfilm with his earnings to travel the world. But Lucas had other ideas when Johnston came to leave his notice. Lucas advised Johnston that he move him to the front line of applicants of his alma mater University of Southern California's Film School with Lucas paying for his tuition and keeping him on at half salary. Johnston said he didn't think twice when accepting Lucas' proposal, which he did in 1984.
During pre-production for Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Johnston was responsible for the design of Boba Fett's distinctive armor and equipment. He worked alongside artist Ralph McQuarrie to develop the unique look for the bounty hunter, which was in fact derived from the early concepts of Darth Vader.
Work in Star WarsEdit
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (1977) (uncredited role as an Imperial gunner, effects illustrator and designer: miniature and optical effects unit)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (uncredited role as Shawn Valdez, art director visual effects)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (1983) (art director visual effects)
- Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure (1984) (production designer)
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985) (production designer)
- Willow (1988) (associate producer)
- Star Wars: Droids—"Coby and the Starhunters" (1985) (co-writer)
- From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga (1985) (interviewed)
- Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy (2004) (interviewed)
- The 100 Greatest Family Films (2005) (interviewed)
- The Star Wars Sketchbook (writer & illustrator)
- The Empire Strikes Back Sketchbook (writer & illustrator)
- Return of the Jedi Sketchbook (writer & illustrator)
- The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense (writer)
- "Boba Fett: Mystery Man in Not-So-Shining Armor"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 1
- "From Jedi to Jumanji: Joe Johnston Profile"—Star Wars Insider 28
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- "Back on Set!"—Star Wars Insider 160