|Jon "Dutch" Vander|
| Biographical information
|Chronological and political information|
- "Red Leader, This is Gold Leader. We're starting our attack run."
- ―Jon "Dutch" Vander
Jon "Dutch" Vander was a Human male and a senior pilot that joined the Rebel Alliance during the time of the Galactic Civil War. In 0 BBY, he fought in the Battle of Yavin and was shot down by Darth Vader.
- "Loosen up!"
- ―Vander's last words before his death
He was trained at the Imperial Academy as a fighter pilot, but during one of his missions as a TIE Bomber pilot, he discovered the true nature of the Galactic Empire's ideals. He was ordered to bomb his home planet. He simulated a failure in his bomber and aborted the mission. He managed to escape the Imperials and joined the Rebel Alliance. Jon got the nickname "Dutch" from his Rebel friends. He became Gold Leader and was assigned to a Y-wing, flying several campaigns for the Alliance with Gold Squadron.
During the Rebel Pilot Briefing by Jan Dodonna Vander interrupted him by asking "Pardon me for asking sir. But what good are snub fighters going to be against that?" and then later gave Princess Leia a look of concern when Dodonna mentioned that the exhaust port was only two meters wide.
During the Battle of Yavin, he was one of the first groups who flew into the Death Star trench. Vander was on point, followed by Tiree (Gold Two) and Davish Krail (Gold Five), who formed a buffer against enemy fighters. Vander chose an extremely close formation for his pilots; this is typical for the much faster TIE Fighters, but the veteran Krail believed this to be a mistake. As Tiree was locking his target computer, Darth Vader shot him down. This caused Vander to panic; Krail tried to keep Vander calm but to no avail. A second later Vader fired into Vander's Y-wing, killing him instantly.
Behind the scenesEdit
There is a controversy surrounding Jon Vander's nickname. Cards of Star Wars Customizable Card Game and Star Wars Trading Card Game as well as an official action figure of him name him "Dutch", while the actual line of Gold Five in both Episode IV DVD subtitles and Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays is spelled as "Hutch" (which is also what many fans claim to hear). Until further clarification the exact spelling remains unclear.
Jon Vander was played by Angus MacInnes.
- Star Wars Journal: Captive to Evil
- Star Wars Journal: The Fight for Justice
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novel
- Perfect Evil
- Shield of Lies (Mentioned only)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- "Rebel Pilot Reunion"—Star Wars Insider 32
- "So You Think You Wanna Be a Rebel Pilot?"—Star Wars Kids 4
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Dutch)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Gold 1)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Rebel Leader Pack (Card: Gold Leader in Gold 1)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Hol Okand)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Official Tournament Sealed Deck (Card: Gold Squadron Y-wing)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (YAV6, The Battle of Yavin)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 8
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "X-Wing Miniatures Game - Y-Wing Expansion Pack" (Card: )
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2013) Part 1 (YAV3-4, The Battle of Yavin)