- "As my personal guard, you are the only ones I can trust to investigate this matter."
- ―Duchess Satine
The Journeyman Protectors, also known as the Mandalorian Protectors or simply the Protectors, were an ancient group of elite Mandalorian warriors who served as royal guards for the ruler of Mandalore and maintained balance in the warrior culture. When the Galactic Empire claimed control of their homeworld, the Protectors established a base on the third moon of Concord Dawn in the Concord Dawn system. Under the leadership of Fenn Rau, the Protectors formed an alliance with the Empire. After Rau was captured by the rebels Kanan Jarrus and Sabine Wren, who fought with honor, the Protectors’ sympathies were forced to change. In 2 BBY, the Protectors were wiped out by the Imperial Viceroy Gar Saxon and his commandos in an attempt to lure Rau out of hiding.
The Journeyman Protectors, also known as the Mandalorian Protectors or simply the Protectors, were an ancient group of elite Mandalorian warriors and lawmen from the Mandalorian world of Concord Dawn. They recruited the best warriors from Mandalore's clans.They served as royal guards for the ruler of Mandalore, the Mand'alor, and maintained balance in the warrior culture.
Some of the best pilots in the Mandalore sector, they flew Fang fighters, and wore multiple sets of gear, including ceremonial and traditional combat armor as well as full piloting gear including blue jumpsuits, air packs, and helmets.
Though Mandalore had largely turned its back on its more war-like past by the Clone Wars, the Journeyman Protectors were one of the few traditions to continue, charged with protecting New Mandalorian leader, Duchess Satine Kryze. In the year 21 BBY, the Protectors assisted Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi in rounding up all the people who were present at or near the Death Watch bombing of the memorial shrine in Sundari's Peace Park. They later escorted the Duchess, Master Kenobi, and the bomber's body to Mandalore's moon of Concordia. The Journeyman Protectors continued protecting the Duchess and her entourage aboard the Coronet, where they defended her and several senators from assassin probes. When Senator Tal Merrik of Kalevala revealed himself as a traitor, the royal guards fought and destroyed boarding B2 super battle droids alongside Grand Army of the Republic clone troopers.
Protectors of Concord DawnEdit
At some point after the Imperial occupation of the Protectors homeworld Mandalore, the Protectors left Mandalore and established a base on the third moon of the Concord Dawn system. Led by Fenn Rau, they forged an agreement with the Empire.
In 3 BBY, the Spectres, Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren, along with two Phoenix Squadron pilots were sent to Concord Dawn to negotiate the usage of their hyperspace routes. The negotiators were attacked by the Protectors in orbit, led by Rau. Spectre leader Kanan Jarrus was sent to destroy their Fang fighters to stop further conflict. In truth, Kanan was attempting to finish Hera's mission, to negotiate terms. Sabine stowed away on board the Phantom, against Kanan's wishes, to eliminate Rau for severely injuring Hera in a dogfight. After capturing their leader and destroying their Fang fighters, Rau was forced to let the rebels use their hyperspace routes.
In 2 BBY, the Imperial Viceroy of Mandalore, Gar Saxon, discovered that the Protectors were allowing rebel ships to travel through the Concord Dawn system in order to avoid Imperial sector patrols. In an attempt to lure Fenn Rau back, Saxon and his Imperial super commandos attacked the Protectors' encampment on the third moon of Concord Dawn and wiped them out. When Rau traveled back to Concord Dawn with Sabine, Ezra Bridger, and Chopper, they discovered that the Protectors had been decimated. After escaping Saxon, Rau decided to join the rebellion.
Following the outbreak of the Mandalorian civil war after the skirmish on Krownest, and the deaths of Viceroy Gar Saxon and his brother Governor Tiber Saxon during a mission to Mandalore, various Mandalorian clans declared for Bo-Katan Kryze to lead them, with Rau also declaring that the Protectors were with her.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Academy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Kanan 10: First Blood, Part IV: The Mesas of Mygeeto
- Star Wars Rebels: Strike Missions
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Imperial Super Commandos"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Legacy of Mandalore"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded (First identified as Journeyman Protectors)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars Rebels – "Imperial Super Commandos"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Kanan 10: First Blood, Part IV: The Mesas of Mygeeto
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2
- ↑ 10.0 10.1
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
- ↑ (Slide 5)