- "I sensed from the moment we met that the Judicial Department was too insular to contain a man of your talents—despite your having garnered a following superseding the one you attained at Sullust."
- ―Sheev Palpatine, to Wilhuff Tarkin
Though the Republic had no standing army, the Department had at its disposal the Judicial Forces which fielded both a space and ground units for military peacekeeping missions. They would in many cases be supervised by Jedi. Members of the Department would be referred to as Judicials and would attend the Judicial Academy to learn military tactics. Wilhuff Tarkin was a rising star in the Judicial Department and was poised to become the Provost marshal before he resigned his commission and turned to politics.
With the start of the Clone Wars, the Republic formed the Grand Army of the Republic and the Republic Navy which took over the military functions performed by the Judicial Department. Many admirals, generals, and other commanders were drawn from the ranks of the Judicials.
- Darth Maul, Part I (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Maul, Part II (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Obi-Wan & Anakin, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Obi-Wan & Anakin, Part V
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin (Mentioned only) (First identified as Judicial Department)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy (As "Judiciary")
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious