Jumptroopers, also known as Imperial Jump Troopers or rocket troopers, were specialized stormtroopers utilized by the Galactic Empire prior to and during the Galactic Civil War. Jumptroopers were equipped with jump packs or jetpacks that allowed them temporary flight.
Overview and equipmentEdit
Jumptroopers were a variant of the Galactic Empire's stormtroopers; similar to their clone predecessors, they were equipped with a jetpack, or alternatively, with a jump pack that could suspend them in the air or maneuver through space environments. They served several roles in combat, from being used to bound over walls to attack enemy fortifications directly, to aerial drops intended on attacking otherwise untouchable enemy positions.
They carried burst shields and RT-97C heavy blaster rifles. Other than their packs, jumptroopers were generally suited with the standard stormtrooper armor, but at times could instead wear specialized armor, one of which included a mechanism attached to two tubes plugged into the helmet, similar to a TIE pilot's control box, and another variant with the tubes connecting the pack and the distinctively-different helmet.
In 2 BBY, a contingent of jumptroopers were attached to Captain Brunson's Arquitens-class command cruiser. These jumptroopers attempted to board the Spectres' ship Ghost but were repelled by the rebels, Rex, and Saw Gerrera. After the entire unit was killed, Brunson ordered her crew to bury the Ghost by collapsing an air shaft on top of them.
Behind the scenesEdit
Jumptroopers first appeared in the 1993 video game Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back as airtroopers. The Star Wars Expaned Universe later canonized the concept in their continuity. On April 25, 2014 the Star Wars Expanded Universe was declared non-canon and rebranded as Legends. Imperial Jump Troopers were later reintroduced into canon in the 2014 mobile game Star Wars: Commander, appearing visually similar to the Imperial jumptroopers seen in the 2008 Legends video game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. In the 2015 video game Star Wars Battlefront, jumptroopers wore generic stormtrooper armor with matching jump packs. Imperial Jump Troopers could be trained in Star Wars: Commander with a Level 8 Barracks.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis" (First identified as rocket trooper)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- Star Wars Battlefront (First identified as Jumptrooper)
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75134 Galactic Empire Battle Pack)
- Sideshow Collectibles. Jumptrooper. Retrieved on October 17, 2016.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Gameplay Rebels & Soldiers of Star Wars Battlefront. ea.com. Retrieved on October 17, 2016.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- ↑ Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed