Junior Lieutenant, also known as Lieutenant Junior Grade, was a military rank in the military forces of the Galactic Empire, the Alliance to Restore the Republic and the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances.
This line rank was used by the Imperial Navy and one of the four ranks that together encompass the overall position of Lieutenant. It ranked above Ensign, and below Senior Lieutenant. The rank was the equivalent of Imperial Army Lieutenant and Starfighter Corps Flight Lieutenant.
In the Alliance Starfighter Corps, post-Battle of Hoth, it was above Flight Officer and below Lieutenant. It was identifiable by a gold-trimmed patch on the left shoulder, with a small red dot just to the right of the center.
It was held by Vocis Kenit immediately after he graduated from the Imperial Academy on Lianna, during the years just following the creation of the New Order. In the Galactic Alliance Guard, it was held by Beta Ioli and Ben Skywalker.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (First appearance) ("Lieutenant Junior Grade")
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest
- Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (As "junior lieutenant")
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (As "junior lieutenant")
- The Far Orbit Project
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide ("Lieutenant Junior Grade")
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide