|Chronological and political information|
Kalgrath was a Massassi warrior put into hibernation within an isolation chamber beneath a Massassi temple by the Dark Lord Exar Kun, to guard Yavin 4 against intruders prior to the Republic/Jedi assault on the moon.
Kalgrath would remain in hibernation for millennia after all his people were exterminated. With his people eliminated, he would be transformed into a large, green, monster. Thus, he became the Night Beast. In 0 ABY, he was awakened from his millennia-long sleep by a crashed TIE/sa bomber during an Imperial raid. He then went to look for his people believing they were still alive.
Skywalker managed to communicate with Kalgrath through the Force. Kalgrath was able to calm himself down, allowing his insanity to fade. Luke agreed to help him to find his people. Kalgrath was put aboard a GR-75 medium transport on auto-pilot to Ziost. The ancient warrior was upset upon his arrival, for he found only a frozen wasteland. It is possible now that he discovered that his people were already killed.
After Luke founded his Jedi academy, Tionne did some research into Kalgrath's fate. She was informed by researchers on Ziost that they had seen a dark shadow creeping around their camp. Despite this, Kalgrath's fate is unknown.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
The Night Beast could shield himself with the Force by instinct, making him invulnerable to blaster fire of all types and even lightsaber attacks.
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 6: Dark Lord
- The Night Beast (First appearance)
- The Return of Ben Kenobi (Mentioned only)
- The Paradise Detour (Force Illusion)
- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Star Wars Galaxy Collector 3 - ComicScan: Coming Full Circle
- The Dark Side Sourcebook
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (Second Edition)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: OS-72-2 In Obsidian 2)
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds