A kama was an accoutrement attached to the wearer's belt. Often described as a belt-spat or half-kilt, the kama was a traditional garment of the Mandalorian culture, and was later adapted by certain Republic clone troopers during the Clone Wars.
Usage and historyEdit
Although inspired by the Thyrsus Sun Guard belt spats, kamas were more traditionally associated with Mandalorian warriors. The clone Advanced Recon Commandos of the Grand Army of the Republic, along with certain clone commanders and officers as the Clone Wars progressed, popularized this flexible anti-blast armor as a means of protection and an indication of rank. Republic leadership was reluctant to allow widespread use of the potentially controversial symbol until it was pointed out that the kama was also worn by indigenous Republic fighters of Rotas V.
Much like the pauldron, the kama design varied greatly. Some, like many in the Clone Wars, were black or grey, with a rim of the color of their affiliation. Others had more texture, such as those worn by Deviss. Some kama's primary color is the same as their affiliation color, but lighter. Some, however, have designs on them, like that of Fives or Blitz.
The sturdy leather kama worn by the Grand Army's elite special forces and commanders was often derided as a "skirt" by clone commandos and standard army clone troopers. The ARC troopers found this criticism spurious in light of the kama's practicality as protection against crippling injury from low-flying shrapnel and debris on chaotic battlefields. Clone jet troopers also instituted the kama as a means of protecting the legs against jetpack downwash.
Armor that used a kamaEdit
- ARC trooper armor
- Other modified forms of Phase II clone trooper armor
- Imperial Snowtrooper armor
- Giant spiders are awesome
- Sith make the best pancakes
- A droid in the hand is worth two in the asteroid belt
- Clones don't even know the meaning of the word surrender
- Do Clones dream of Electric Mynocks?
- A clone trooper always obeys orders
- A clone by any other name
- Clones are famous all across the galaxy
- Clone troopers are excellent diplomats
- LEGO Star Wars: The Quest for R2-D2 film
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: New Battlefronts: The Visual Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare