Kamikaze, sometimes known by Imperial TIE Pilots, as WBD (short for We Both Die) was a tactic in which one starfighter, capital ship, or other vehicle, often loaded with explosives, would deliberately ram a target, often causing massive damage. Craft outfitted for kamikaze attacks were often, but not always, unmanned or run by a droid crew.
It was a last-ditch course of action that was utilized by the starfighter pilots of the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War. If a TIE pilot found themselves unable to destroy an opposing ship while in combat or escape, they would attempt to destroy both vessels at once. There were a number of options for this situation, which included ramming the enemy craft at full speed.
- During the Battle of Ryloth, Anakin Skywalker used the heavy damaged Defender to ram into Mar Tuuk's Flagship.
- During the Battle of Sullust, TJ-912 ordered one of her Hyena-class bomber to make a suicide run on the hangar of a Providence-class carrier/destroyer in order to kill Ventress, which had a confrontation with the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.
- The Renown, a derelict Venator-class Star Destroyer, was hijacked by various CIS droids, equipped with Rhydonium canisters, and then sent on a collision course with the space station Valor, with D-squad being the only ones able to prevent the attack.
- The Airam were known to occasionally carry out kamikaze attacks, as at the Battle of Nocto.
- During the Galactic Civil War, Imperial commandos attempted to sabotage the Rebel starfighter factory Koensayr 42 to program the BTL-A4 Y-wing starfighters it manufactured to crash into the Ton-Falk-class escort carrier Eleusis.
- Villian Dance once attempted to use this strategy during a combat exercise against a simulacrum of Darth Vader within one of the flight simulators on board the first Death Star.
- During the Assault on Kamino, Starkiller used the Force to guide the heavily-damaged frigate Salvation into Kamino's planetary shield, disabling it and allowing the Rebel Fleet to land and engage the Imperial forces.
- A TIE/sa bomber with a warhead attached to its undercarriage pursued Gray Flight and proceeded to detonate its warhead charge directly over Leia's X-wing, severely damaging the starfighter in the process.
- An unmanned GR-75 medium transport rammed a shield generator during the Fondor shipyard assault to allow Rogue Squadron to destroy an unfinished Executor-class Star Dreadnought.
- In the Battle of Endor, a Rebel pilot, Green Leader Arvel Crynyd, piloted his severely damaged A-wing into the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer the Executor. This sent the massive vessel straight into a doomed collision with the Death Star II.
- During the same battle, a Rebel Blockade Runner committed a kamikaze attack on an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, heavily damaging the command post and resulting in the destruction of its twin sensor domes as Ackbar's fleet was being escorted by Green Squadron to attack the Executor.
- The Sun Crusher was used to smash through the bridge tower of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Hydra in Imperial Admiral Natasi Daala's fleet during its flight from the Maw.
- At the second Battle of Borleias, when New Republic forces modified the Executor-class Star Dreadnought Lusankya to ram and destroy the Domain Hul worldship from which the Yuuzhan Vong were coordinating their attack.
- Vergere committed suicide by piloting an A-wing straight into the heart of a Yuuzhan Vong base.
- Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith 5: The Flight of Starbreaker 12
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
- Death Star
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- The Truce at Bakura (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- Kamikaze on Wikipedia