|Usage and history|
- "Toxic dart."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi examining a Kamino saberdart
The Kamino saberdart was a type of toxic dart created by the Kaminoans of Kamino. The projectile had a fluid reservoir at its base, which could hold a small amount of poison or toxin. Behind the toxin reservoir, the dart contained a tiny explosive charge. When the dart hit it's target, sensors in it's tip detonated the charge, forcing the toxin out of the dart in a matter of milliseconds. This agent could then be injected into the subject via a sharp central tine, allowing direct access into the target's bloodstream. Common toxins deployed with these saberdarts included Malkite themfar, Fex-M3, and Sennari.
Poison darts were preferable over more direct assassination means for several reasons. First, with an appropriate toxin, the victim's death could be nearly-instantaneous, and essentially guaranteed. Secondly, the use of lethal toxins often incapacitated the target before he even realized what was happening, protecting the identity of the attacker and allowing time for escape. Because of these reasons, these exotic weapons were used by various bounty hunters and criminals across the galaxy, most notably Jango Fett and Jodo Kast. In particular, members of the Assassin's Guild and Malkite Poisoners were known to favor these darts to administer lethal toxins.
In 22 BBY, Jango Fett used a saberdart to kill Zam Wesell, preventing her from identifying him to Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker. Although the analysis droids in the Jedi Temple were unable to determine the origin of the dart, Dexter Jettster was able to identify it and direct Kenobi to Kamino.
Behind the scenesEdit
The shooting script for Attack of the Clones identifies the saberdart as a "Kamino kyberdart", a name that was later changed. "Kyber" originally comes from the name of the Kiber Crystal, an item in early drafts of the script for A New Hope.[source?]
In Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Jango Fett uses these darts even though he hasn't become involved with the Kaminoans at the time, these darts may be similar darts which Jango later replaced with the saberdart.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- Star Wars: Jango Fett
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact
- Boba Fett: Pursuit
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Epic Duels
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Illustrated Companion
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 52 (KAM1-2, Kamino Saberdart)
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The New Essential Chronology (as "toxic dart")
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- "Secrets of the Force"—Star Wars Insider 123
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Dexter Jettster (★★★))