The lightsaber built by Kanan Jarrus had a blade length adjustment control. During the reign of the Galactic Empire, Jarrus kept this lightsaber hidden. Rather than hang it on his belt by the belt ring, which would easily identify him as a Jedi, Jarrus stored it directly on his belt as two separate pieces, with the main body and grip of the hilt at the small of his back and the emitter shroud on his left side. Jarrus merely needed to insert the emitter section into the main body and twist to lock them together. The lightsaber also had a low-power setting to avoid injuring sparring partners during practice. In this setting, the blade had a different shade of blue, and the weapon vibrated at a slightly higher pitch.
When he was a Padawan, studying under the guidance of Jedi Master Depa Billaba, Jarrus—then known as Caleb Dume—built his own lightsaber. After the destruction of the Jedi Order, Dume escaped the death that befell most Jedi and went into hiding. At first, he hid it in a compartment aboard Janus Kasmir's ship, the Kasmiri. Dume then went under the assumed name of Kanan Jarrus. He kept his lightsaber hidden so he would not be identified as a Jedi and killed. He nonetheless secretly carried it with him everywhere he went, including on the planet Gorse and its moon, Cynda, during the conflict on Gorse.
Fourteen years after the fall of the Jedi, the lightsaber was discovered hidden on the Ghost by Ezra Bridger, an orphan thief from Lothal who was taken in by Jarrus and the crew of the Ghost. During the crew's mission to rescue Wookiee slaves from the spice mines of Kessel, pinned down by a squad of stormtroopers Jarrus used his lightsaber and revealed himself as a Jedi to Agent Kallus of the Imperial Security Bureau. This surprised the Imperial who then ordered his men to concentrate their fire on him, which Kanan reflected using Form V, thereby giving the crew and the Wookiees a chance to escape Kessel. This action drew the attention of the Jedi hunter known as the Grand Inquisitor.
During their second confrontation on Fort Anaxes Kanan was rendered unconscious, and despite Ezra's attempt to use it he was easily disarmed by the Inquisitor who used it in conjunction with his own to fend off a large Fyrnock summoned by the Padawan. Kanan would later recover it while escaping. After his capture Kanan's lightsaber was confiscated by the Inquisitor.
During what would prove to be their final clash the Inquisitor displayed Kanan's weapon clipped to his belt as a trophy, forcing the Jedi to use his apprentice's, as the two fought Ezra used the Force to pull Kanan's lightsaber to his hands and used it to fight against the Inquisitor. When Ezra was knocked away and was thought to be dead, Kanan took back his lightsaber and was able to defeat the Inquisitor and escape with Ezra on the Jedi hunter's TIE Advance v1.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide (First identified as Kanan's lightsaber)
- Star Wars Rebels: Meet the Rebels
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars Rebels
- "A Trip to the Light Side"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Star Wars Rebels: Fight the Empire
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power! (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Rebels Annual 2016
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75053 The Ghost)
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75084 Wookiee Gunship)
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75141 Kanan Speeder Bike)
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75170 The Phantom)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ — The kyber crystal Databank entry states that there is a kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lighstaber."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars Rebels – "Rise of the Old Masters"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A New Dawn
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Mystery of Chopper Base"
- ↑ The Secret Jedi: The Adventures of Kanan Jarrus: Rebel Leader
- ↑ Kanan 3: The Last Padawan, Part III: Pivot
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Call to Action"