Kell dragons were quadrupedal predators sometimes utilized in disposing of captives by crimelords and Dark Jedi.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Kell dragons were hardy creatures related to the much larger krayt dragons indigenous to Tatooine, and like their larger cousins, were most comfortable in deserts. The squat, scaly reptilians walked on four three-clawed legs. Their roughly triangular heads held yellow eyes, and jaws that were filled with sharp teeth that jutted out when their mouths were closed. Three rows of spikes ran down the beasts' backs to the ends of their tails.
Kell dragons generally attempted to neutralize their targets by biting with their toothy jaws. They could jump forward in order to deliver bites to particularly elusive prey.
- "I'm normally an optimistic guy, but how do you fight a Kell dragon with your bare hands?"
- ―Kyle Katarn
During the Galactic War, Dread Master Styrak had a pet kell dragon on the planet of Darvannis. It was killed during the ensuing battle, but then the Dread Master revived it and bolstered its strength against his attackers, but it was once again killed, along with his master.
A number of kell dragons lived on Ruusan. While rare, they were the planet's most dangerous predator, and were found most commonly near the fabled Valley of the Jedi. There, they posed a threat to both archaeologists and those attempting to make a pilgrimage to the Valley. No one knew if they were indigenous to the world or had been introduced by the Sith.
Jabba the Hutt kept several as pets aboard the Star Jewel, and would feed prisoners to the kell dragons for entertainment. Kyle Katarn was intended to be the victim of Jabba's favorite dragon, but the mercenary was able to defeat the beast with his bare hands. Upon escaping the dragon's den and retrieving his weapons, he proceeded to exterminate Jabba's entire complement of the beasts in his search for Rebel agent Jan Ors.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "What's the proper way to punch a Kell dragon or two? First, punch them head on, right in the nose."
- ―Jeff Hoff gives players advice on how to deal with Kell dragons
Kell dragons were created as enemies for the 1995 PC game Star Wars: Dark Forces. PC Gamer magazine stated that the dragons designed for the game were intended to be krayt dragons. Until the game's production and release time, Krayts had never appeared anywhere else; therefore, Dark Forces would be making their first appearance.
Since the Krayt dragons were officially stated to be much larger, for canon and gameplay reasons the game creatures were renamed "kell" and became only a relative species of krayts. Note that some kinds of krayts were quite similar to kell dragons.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Maul: Lockdown
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- "Game Room: Where Aliens Are Fair Game"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 3
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 6